We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 239
Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

I am planning a trip to Tanzania - safari followed by 3 nights in Zanzibar and am hoping to get some advice. Basically, I am trying to decide between 3 choices - Kilindi, Star or the East, and Ras Nungwi. I know that the 3rd might be less luxurious than the other two, but it still looked nice online.

What I'm looking for is - a great beach (nice enough to swim in), as well as a really nice pool; good food (many negative reviews of the food at Baraza/Palms took those out of the running for me), and few insects (I know it's the beach, but I'm quite bug averse and really avoid places that are open air allowing bugs into the rooms). I'm looking for a nice room as well, preferably oceanfront. This is the last leg of my trip and I want to make sure it's up to par with the other hotels I'm staying at (incl. Serengeti Bushtops). Anyway, if anyone has stayed at these places and could offer advice it would be most appreciated! Also, please let me know if there are others that I should be considering as well. Thanks!

Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Dar es Salaam
reviews: 16
1. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

I would then choose either Star of the East or Kilindi. I haven't been to Star of the East but have many clients who have and have loved it. I have however been to Kilindi and think it is fab.

nyc
2. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

I'd also consider Kilindi.

There's no guarantee anywhere whether there will by flying critters or those nasty sand flies... some days they are, others not, even at beaches anywhere around the world. They fly and move at will.

The rooms at most of these properties are open unless you close up and run the a/c all day. With open windows the breezes come in, then if you wish you close up the mossie net at night. However, with a/c it's rare to have flying things as mossies, specifically, do not like cold or wind... all the good things your a/c provides.

There are some smaller properties you might want to consider - Anna or Zanzibar, Matemwe Retreat, Echo Beach - all different, but good reviews.

FYI! Further to not wishing anything 'open' know that Bushtops is, though the sleeping area has netting if you wish to close off.

Chicago
3. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

Hi, thanks for the advice!

As for Bushtops...it looks to be that the canvas walls can come down to close off the tented room...is that not the case? And can the bathroom also be closed off? I know that some things can always get into the room...oddly enough, it's moths that bother me most (just a weird phobia I have) - and if I couldn't close off the room at night with the lights on, that would be a concern.

Thanks again for your help!

nyc
4. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

As I recall, only the sleeping area at Bushtops is enclosed with mossie net. The bathroom is outside of this enclosure. However, most all the flaps can be rolled down to close in the entire tent... but then you'll feel like you're in a casket/tomb and still no guarantee some flying something won't find it's way in... you're out in the bush. Moths will always be attracted to the light fixtures, but can guarantee they don't eat much... just shoo them away!

Chicago
5. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

Hmm...moths in the tent would definitely be a vacation spoiler for me. I've had a phobia of them since I was a child. Maybe I should consider staying somewhere else. Do you know anything about Sayari Mara?

Zanzibar Island...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

For the specification that you need you will also have to look at the price. There is no one that will offer a high price with services that are not really good. For more details we will have to hear from those that have spent nights at these hotels.

nyc
7. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

I said above 'moths will always be attracted to the light.' So this would be true most anywhere. Choice would be to few moths at the light fixtures and simply shoo'd/waved them away, turned off the lights and went to sleep. When you're out in the bush there is never any guarantee what might be flying around.

reviews: 25
8. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

I went to Zanzibar last year febuary and had the choise of a few hotels and went to the residence and star of the east. I must say the villa itself at star was more superior also with the indoor and out door jacuzi but was a little far from the beach which was not really a problem the two pools in star are salt water but the shared one is fresh water. I did look into kilindi aswel but was not to keen on it.

Chicago
9. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

Star of the East does look very nice. What did you think of the food? And was the beach itself nice once you got to it? Also, what was it about Kilindi that you weren't keen on? Thanks

reviews: 25
10. Re: Kilindi, Star of the East, or Ras Nungwi?

Well I enjoyed the food at the star of the east part of the resort.. Truly 5* but as it is part of the sister hotel we tried the food there aswel, was not to my taste but my wife liked it as she is a vegitarian and they have more options eg pasta. The beach was nice but on low tide when the high came you are only able to swim in it and not walk as the water come to the edge of the hotel. Though they have the private man made beach abit higher up which was nice.

Not really sure now why I didn't like kilindi, this was a year ago. I think I was looking more for a modern luxury villa that's why I choose star for the second part and the residence for the 1st part of the honeymoon. It is an amazing hotel just alil far from the beach 5min walk( but they take you in a golf buggy if you want)