We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lausanne...
reviews: 21
Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Dear TripAdvisor members,

Happy New Year to all of you!! Thanks for contributing to this great site!

I am planning to go one week to Zanzibar at the end of January and I must say....I am a little bit lost! There are a lot of conflicting opinions about where to stay and the quality of the hotels!

I wanted to go to Baby Bush in Kiwengwa, because I am not fan of big resorts with private beaches, I prefer when it is owned by local people. But I heard that the tide is important everywhere except the north.

I want to relax on the beach and swim, of course! But also do a little bit of something else, like visiting a little bit the island (Stone Town and villages), I guess there's plenty to see. And also a few water activities (snorkeling, ...).

So here are my questions:

1. Do you have any comment about Kiwengwa? Is the beach nice? It seems that there are things to do around, right?

2. Can we still swim a few hours per day in Kiwengwa?? Or is it difficult? Or is it easy to stay in Kiwengwa and reach other beaches by transportation (Dalla-dalla)?

3. In general, is it easy to move on the island? The distances seem small and I've seen that there's affordable public transportation.

4. Would you suggest to split: a few days in Kiwengwa / a few days in Kendwa? Or somewhere else?

5. Any advice for hotels? My budget is around 30-40$ per person. Anyone tried the Baby bush? And in the north, what about Les toits de plame?

6. Any great tip? ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!!!

Cheers

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 53
11. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Got to agree with trekrlee. Give it a rest drago - its not Disneyworld.

Lausanne...
reviews: 21
12. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Dear all,

I didn t want to start an argument with my post.

Thank you very much for all the members who took the time to answer and advise me.

It seems that you have had different experiences in Zanzibar, which is normal, people have different interests and the perception of another country is always a personal matter. So no need to argue to convince the others.

TripAdvisor is in my opinion very rich and helpful. If you do not trust it at all, do not use it. You might not agree with everything that is said here, but once again, it is normal as it is made of personal and therefore subjective advices, and with a little common sense you make the difference between a helpful post and another that is better to ignore.

All together, it brings a lot of information and helps being more informed about your next destination.

Anyway, thank you everybody, I made some changes in my plan, I`m ready to go to Zanzibar!!!

reviews: 1
13. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Hi Dullah

We are a couple visiting Zanzibar in February.We would love to buy bicycles in Stonetown and ride around the island because we just love to see everything slowly and find even everday things (to you ) exciting and new.

How much should we pay for a good enough second hand bike in Stonetown . Can we take them on ferrys (to Pemba or even on small boats).

I know it will be hot.

I know the roads will be rough.

I cant wait to visit your lovely island and dont worry if it is basic, I live on a boat !

Zanzibar, Tanzania
14. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Hello,

dear swiss,

Hope you are fine,and you are feeling much better...great.

thanks for being understanding...hopeful you will visit Zanzibar.

I wish you best travel to spices islands of Zanzibar.

warmly and in advance welcome to hospitality island of Zanzibar.

thanks,

dullah b.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
15. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Hi,

dear Thatannejames,

I hope you are doing well with great heath too.

My self i have no idea to buy bicycle in stone town...but i know some place where you can buy a bicycle.such as Mlanege street,kw Hajj Tumbo Street as well as kijangwan street where either you can take a private car or walk by foot from ZANZIBAR SEA PORT to DARAJAN CAR TERMINAL and there, you could take a public car to the shops or walk by foot(almost 7-15 minutes from-to).

but also if you want to rent a bicycle from stone town and rid it, it is possible what ever the place you need to go and time you need to spend.(almost $15 per day)....

Pemba is a green island,most and sensitive island to visit ,well known for diving and snorkeling,very interested in local food and dance and well organized with bullfighting and Msewe.

Pemba have three town all located west of the island,Mkoani,Chakechake and Wete....the capital city is chake chake...30km from Wete town and 28km from Mkoan town.

Please and kindly welcome to visit brother and sister islands of Zanzibar.

welcome again.

Thanks,

dullah.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
16. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Dear drago,

hope you are doing well.

worry out,we are not here for competition,just to advise our fellow travelers.

I like the way you use your time to give out your felling and advise...i know you are a good person and you don't want others to loose hope and spend their money for nothing...great.

I hope we are still together as a ONE.

love u all in TripAdvisor.

thanks

dullah b.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
17. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

Hi,Thatannejames.

I hope you are doing good,

I think you got some information about Zanzibar,but i wounder why you remain silent like that?please if you need more information don't stay silent...try to ask more and more.we are here to deliver exactly information in order to make your holiday wonderful in our island for every thing you need around our destination.

please do not hesitant to ask your question,and hopeful what you need is possible in a right time.

all activities are possible regard up on your budget.

Thanks,

dullah

18. Re: Where to stay? How to move? Zanzibar help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 22, 2014