We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smithfield, North...
reviews: 57
Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

Which is better and why? When we get to Dar El Salaam suggestions of what to do as we will have about 5 hours.

Are you familiar with Coastal Airlines from Zanzibar? Read somewhere they will provide you a place to stay until International airport opens up?

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

Plane - faster and quicker and avoids the city.

Coastal are superb. Go to the Slipway.

Zanzibar
2. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

They will take you to Slipway Hotel while you are waiting for that connections.

Regards,.

Zanzilandholidays

surrey
reviews: 25
3. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

What about Precision Air - they have bigger planes and a more comprehensive schedule?

My flight home leaves DAR at 22.10 - there is a Precision Air flight from ZNZ which gets into DAR at 20.20 which I'm about to book - there is a later one that gets into DAR at 21.10 - is that hour sufficient in case something goes wrong with the one we're booked on? The flight before that gets in at 17.20 which I know is way too early and it's only Coastal which will take you to Slipway and look after your luggage - that's right isn't it?

Will Precision interline our bags onto an international flight?

Decisions, decisions!

Stanley, Falkland...
4. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

mw - when you checkin at ZNZ, are you checked in all the way home? An hour to checkin at DAR seems very tight. 40 minutes seem unlikely.

There are queues at the desks, and then 3 security gates, all with queues.

I haven't used Precision, except to book on behalf of others. I knew them as "Imprecision".....

surrey
5. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

Thanks peter - I'm intending to book the flight that gets in at 20.20 which would give us 1 hour 50 minutes - I'm worried that if that flight gets cancelled that we would have to take the later one which only gives us 1 hour if it is on time.

We're on our way home - not sure if we'll be able to interline our bags or not.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
6. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

I wouldn't have that close a connection, you are required to be at the airport in DAR 2 hours before the flight leaves, if the flight home is full you might lose your seat with that close of a connection. It's been known to happen.

surrey
7. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

That's a nuisance - means we'll have to take the one that gets us there 5 hours beforehand and as Precision don't offer the Slipway option what do we do? Especially as I've read that you can't get into the lounge until 2 hours before the flight - or can you even get into the terminal before that?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
8. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

There is a departure area, and they won't allow you in there until 2 hours before departure (which is when they rather demand that you be there). In the departure area you check your bags, get boarding passes, then go through passport control. After that you go upstairs to the actual gate area, which is where the lounge is located.

The terminal is an open terminal kind of thing, and they have small shops, carrier ticket sales shops, and seats for waiting.

Stanley, Falkland...
9. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

Nothing to stop you grabbing a cab and going there yourself. Its just that Coastal offer it as a chargeable option. It was discussed at length on here about a month ago.

surrey
10. Re: Ferry or Plane from Zanzibar to Dar El Salaam

That's what I thought - unfortunately we'll have our luggage if we can't check it all the way home.