We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
reviews: 18
Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

Hi,

Has anyone recently been to Zanzibar and used a local tour operator based on the island or in Stone Town for booking excursions instead of booking through a tour operator in the UK? The price difference is considerable by booking with a local operator but I am unsure, as the saying goes ''you get what you pay for''!! The local tour operator I have been speaking to is called Salama Tours, they sound professional and have a website etc.

Any help or info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Kirsty

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 74
1. Re: Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

I received a recommendation from my TA pal Mfuwe for a private local guide and made arrangements with him via email before I arrived. He had some good suggestions and was flexible in organizing. His name is Juma R Juma and I've posted his contact info before.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

Well, if they have a website, they must be OK . :-)

Seriously, why not see who your hotel recommends? At least that way, they have an interest in keeping you happy.

I used Eco & Culture tours. Salama might be brilliant. Don't let my joke put you off.

Zanzibar, Tanzania
3. Re: Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

When booked from you UK it will depend because some of th eoverseas tour operators have block bookings that athey sell at a cheaper price also.

But the that will limit you to do exactly that, and if you want to change you will have to make a all new payment. This can sorted if you booked with th local tour operators

Though you have to have to find genuine ones

nyc
4. Re: Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

As most island tours depart out of Stone Town, it's often best to spend a day or two here for sightseeing.

The difference in price from UK operator might reflect your departure (and later return) from hotel, where the ZNZ tour guide has to drive to/from which adds to the actual cost of the tour.

Even if only 1/nt in ST you can do Town Tour that afternoon of arrival if sufficient time, or next morning; then on drive to your resort arrange for a stop for Spice Tour or Jozani Forest.

5. Re: Excursions whilst staying on Zanzibar island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 17, 2014