We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Hi everyone,

Me and a friend want to visit Zanzibar in late Feb - Early March.

We are really keen to get a 4x4 and travel around the island. We are both rather spontaneous and love to explore.

Ideally we would like to play it by ear. Perhaps book accommodation for the first two nights but then have the freedom to travel and choose which area we want to stay and for how long.

Is that possible?

Will it be difficult to find available/affordable hotels / bungalows on the day?

Are we going to get a better deal booking online in advance?

4x4

Based on the forums here, http://www.zanzibarcarhire.com seems to be the most reliable place to get a 4x4. Is that right?

Any idea how much does it cost per day to hire one?

And how much does a full tank of petrol cost? I have read that petrol is rather pricy in Tanzania?

Currency

Since I am travelling from the UK, I am thinking to carry most of my cash in British pounds but also some USD and once I am there to exchange my GBP for the local currency. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you all

1. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, December 31, 2012
Deinze, Belgium
reviews: 6
2. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Hi, we went to Zanzibar second week of January 2013. We rented a car at Zanzibarcarhire for 30 dollar a day. We reserved it in advance and let the price confirmed three email. I am really happy I did rent a car, it's very easy to travel with a car in Zanzibar and you can stop when and where you want. You discover better the country.

I would not recommend to wait to get your accommodation, because if you have to look every day for a good hotel it will take you half of your vacation. Read well the recessions at tripadvisor and get something that fits you.

We stayed at Rumaisa Hotel in Stone town. Very basic and good for 70 dollar a night. Then we got the car and wheat to Sazani Beach Hotel in the north. Really good an quite place. See my post there. We went the to the east to Simba beach hotel. It was not good and we went back to Sazani Beach. The last day going back to stone town with the car people from zanzibarcar hire came to get the car back at our hotel. This is service!!! One more thing: read other posts about he police controls. It's better to get informed in advance!!!

Deinze, Belgium
3. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

One more thing, I advise you to take dollars with you. Estimate what you are going to spend. Changing money is not interesting in Zanzibar. You get very bad rates and besides in Stone Town they are no banks or changing offices through the island. Have a good trip!! Is really paradise!!!

Arusha, Tanzania
4. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Hello,

I thought that person above post comment without have enough experience with Zanzibar.For sure I lived in Zanzibar many years now,am saw a lot of Bureau de Changes in Stone town,as well many banks they can exchange money with good rates,because all rates from banks and Forex going according to daily exchange notice from bank of Tanzania.

Strong advice people who post on TA,to be so smart with their information otherwise this forum will be no meaning to exchange ideas,helping travelers.

Hope it will help all.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
5. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Philllip... Do as you suggested, take your GB Pound Sterling, or US Dollars (you should use the dollars for your visa on entry) and exchange it into the local currency, Tanzania Shillings. Any Forex in Stone Town or elsewhere will be able to do this, very quickly.

Deinze, Belgium
6. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Excuse me I wanted to say that the only easy place to change money is in Stone Town. I repeat that in my case I got much better rates getting dollars in my country than changing euros in a changing office in Stone Town. Traveling in the north and east I didnt found any other money changing office. I am right?

Deinze, Belgium
7. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Excuse me I wanted to say that the only easy place to change money is in Stone Town. I repeat that in my case I got much better rates getting dollars in my country than changing euros in a changing office in Stone Town. Traveling in the north and east I didnt found any other money changing office. I am right?

Zanzibar, Tanzania
8. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

Yes the best will be you taking the dollars if you have them. But if you do not have any dollars you will have to change them in some of the Bureau de change that willl offer you the best rates one of them is Eagles it is in shangani area. It is place that most of the drivers know and you will get a better rate from their.

Apart from this thare are also many others than you going to change your dollars any where you might get rates that are not pleasant.

9. Re: Visiting without booking accommodation| 4x4rental | Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 23, 2014