We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south africa
car hire

could someone please tell me what the cost of hiring a car for 4 adults and their backpacks would be per day.

Thought of doing this on Pemba and driving ourselves around instead of paying for the day trips.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 33
1. Re: car hire

Here is a copy of a private message I have got from the lady traveling to Zanzibar recenly. Hope it helps.

Regards.

> Our rental car experience in Zanzibar was very third world and very

> informal. I was a bit leery of it for insurance purposes but my

> husband was not overly stressed. We arranged it through our hotel and

> the guy showed up at 8 the following morning as planned. There was no

> formal contract, he showed an insurance document, my husband entered

> his own driver license info on an informal document, the guy only

> accepted cash so no extra insurance through our credit card, etc. He

> brought it with such an empty tank that we feared running out of gas

> before finding a gas station. And of course we were supposed to return

> it empty.

> The price was 45 US for a day, plus ten dollars for him to ride an

> hour by bus each way from Stone Town to deliver and pick it up. ( So

> $55 for a day-

In the planning stages I asked our tour operator about car

> rental at the hotel and had been advised to arrange it through the

> hotel. In hindsight, i might have checked out more options ahead of

> time. My husband drove and it did not take him long to get a feel for

> driving a right hand steering wheel on the left side of the road, but

> one certainly has to be prepared for all the people and bicycles and

> chickens and goats on the narrow roads.

Edited: 7:35 pm, December 07, 2012
south africa
2. Re: car hire

oh my gosh ....thanks for the report, will be careful!

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 6
3. Re: car hire

I can personally recommend Zanzibar Car Hire, Ltd. for Unguja. They are online (www.zanzibarcarhire.com) and will meet you at the airport, your hotel, or any other reasonable place to deliver your vehicle. Their price for a Rav 4 was less than 45/day - more like 38-40USD a day (plus gas of course).

However, I am not sure if Sabry Juma, the owner, deals with car rentals on Pemba or not. If not, he may be able to suggest a good one. He's a great guy and has a lot of connections over on Pemba.

We rented a car from Sabry and drove ourselves all over Unguja for 3 days without any real difficulty (one stop at one of the security checkpoints took a few minutes of politely playing dumb to the officer until he got bored of us and let us go on; the other stops were perfunctory). The car itself worked just fine and served us well.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 64
4. Re: car hire

Hi my name is Connie and I am also living in Seattle. We are planning to tour around the island the last week of February 2013, can you share with me some of your experiences, here's my questions:

- is North part of the island is not as nice as the Southern part?

- is driving safe?

- do we need an international driving license?

- can you recommend where we should visit?

- any hotel/B&B recommendations?

Thank you very much.

Liège, Belgique
reviews: 1
5. Re: car hire

We rented a car to info@zanzibarcarhire.com and everything very well took place! Good price, 4x4. I recommende Sabry!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 33
6. Re: car hire

Connie,

I came last night from East Africa and here are the latest information:

- I rented car at the airport for $40/day (Suzuki Escudo 4x4). My hotel offered the same for $60/day. I can dig the phone # if required, but I have asked a guy at the exit where is a sign Taxi and Car rental and he called the owner who broght the car.

- You absolutelly need an Internationa Driving License (or take temporary driving license in town which is a hasle). You will be stopped hundreds of times by police and that is the only thing they are looking for to get a bribe. Altough I had a Int. Dr.Permit I was openly asked once "Where is my present from Canada?"

- I felt safe everywhere on the island and I have been almost everywhere as there is nothing to do. You have to know though that besides driving on the left side it is the third world driving culture and if you are not used to that, better drive slow and do not drive in the evenings. Roads are social places in the villages and there is a lot of people walking or just sitting on the side of the road. Roads are narrow and you may kill someone if you are not carefull.

- It is my oppinion that island is not worth visiting. Better spend a few hundred dollars more and go to Seychelles. North is better than South: Nungwi has the beach where you can actually swimm (around Double Tree by Hilton).

- We have stayed South (Jambiani) as we have planned to drive around and needed inexpensive place to stay. Mamamapambo is a 5 room villa run by an Italian couple. I will post a review later but for now, place itself is great: extra large bed, big rooms, huge bathroom, great food, touch of Italian design everywhere. Difficult to find though: our flight was late so it was already dark when we left Stone Town. In addition, I did not bring the exact address nor phone number, so it took me a while to find it.

Best of luck!

Zanzibar, Tanzania
7. Re: car hire

The quotation will be different depending on the type of the car that you will need though you will get all types of car that will suite you.

Most of th roads are in good condition though you will have to take care while of the bicycle and motorcycles on the road.

Deinze, Belgium
reviews: 6
8. Re: car hire

We come just back from Zanzibar. We rented a car from Zanzibar car hire in Kenyatta road in stone town. See address higher up in this page. Very good experience. 30 dollar a day for a 4x4 little Suzuki. Be sure that you get this price confirmed in the email back. The last day they even came to get the car back at our hotel.

Few recommendations:

Police stops you now and then for control and sometime asking for backshis.

We got stopped seven times and in two cases they where threading with a fine of 50 dollar. I give them 2 dollars and they let us go.

1. be careful that they cant find anything. Put de belt on, have your international driving license ready to show. Don't drive to fast. ...

2. when you stop, better you begin very polite the conversation. Ask for a direction to go, even ask their opinion over a place you would like to visit...

3. if you feel that they want a tip, let them say this. Normally they don't want to say it and talk till you propose it.

4. 2 dollar is more than enough. If they ask for more you can say that is the fourth time that you had to stop and that every time 2 dollar is very expensive.

5. Be very polite and talk about Zanzibar.

One more thing:2 times the police told me that de international drivers licence had to be registered in à official bureau at stone town. I dont know if is this is thrue.

We had à verf Nice trip and i am happy that i rented the car. At the end is much cheaper than taxis and you can stop when you want to see the villages and talk with the people.

Have a good time in Zanzibar!!!!

9. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 17, 2014