We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

Which Zanzibar Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

I would like some help on booking a flight from ZAN to DAR on October 13. I have a 10:55 P.M. flight out of DAR that I absolutely can't miss. I can see that I have a number of airline options and a number of flights to choose from on each. Questions:

Is one airline preferable over another? Why?

Is one more reliable than the others? From what I can see, all of them are pretty unreliable.

The last flight of the day on all airlines will get me to DAR in lots of time. Should I take an earlier one just in case the flight is cancelled, and then maybe I can still catch a later flight?

Is the ferry a better/more reliable option?

Am I worrying too much?

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

I prefer Coastal. Where have you seen they are unreliable.? To me, they are slick and professional. Transfers take minutes; checkin, the same.

I have even seen a pilot ensure the plane at ZNZ was unloaded and reloaded with passengers in under 5 minutes to avoid delays due to a massive thunderstorm.

Have you investigated the reliability etc of ferries, or the timetables? Even if you could get to Dar in time, you have to get across a sprawling city for the flight.

Coastal have a regular flight which connects with the 9am BA flight to London. It leaves ZNZ about 6.45 and takes 20 minutes.

Edited: 10:42 am, August 24, 2012
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 222
2. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

I agree. Too many snipes at reliability this week.

For OP. The 22.55 (24 hour clock won't confuse Peter) sounds like KLM to AMS?

I am not sure if they still do this but Coastal used to provide a package whereby they flew you to DAR late afternoon and you went off to "The Slipway" for Dinner or a drink before being returned to DAR for the KLM flight.

I call that service!

Toronto
3. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

I'll admit I can't find a bad review about Coastal on any aviation review website. But I can't find a good review either. I can't find any reviews on them.

I have seen bad reports on the reliability and service of both Fly540 and Precision Air.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 8
4. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

One thing you should keep in mind. When you say you absolutely cannot miss something, you should always have a Plan B. The reason for this is because anything can happen there. And it's more then a shrug of the sholders and saying TIA (this is Africa); it is TIA. If I were going to fly from Zanzibar to Dar and couldn't afford to miss my flight out, I would make certain that I took a flight which if it didn't happen I could always go and take the ferry and arrive there in time for the flight.

I've been hooked on too many things there which I couldn't absolutely miss, and did.

Toronto
5. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

mfuwe, on a different posting, you stated:

"On their website they show that the last two fights to DAR benefit from being taken to "The Slipway" at a cost, to await the later KLM flight."

Can you post a link to this? I can't find it anywhere on their website. In fact, I can't see anything other than flight bookings.

Since I'm on the KLM to AMS, this sounds appealing.

Isle of Man, United...
6. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

It was on last years schedule but the rehash has lost it. It may have been discontinued of course but Slipway and Coastal are part of the same group.

Suggest you Email them. They are very responsive.

Toronto
7. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

Strangely, there is no email address on their website. Do you have it?

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

Email: aviation@coastal.co.tz

It's on the schedule along with a zillion phone numbers.

Toronto
9. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

Thank you.

Toronto
10. Re: Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam flights

So, is Coastal the consensus choice? I understand that Precision is the only one that flies into the international airport Is it a big deal to transfer from the domestic airport?