We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zanzibar visa

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
worthing
reviews: 5
zanzibar visa

Hi,

Can anyone advise me if its best to obtain a visa before we travel or can we get one when we land in zanzibar?.

Also we have booked through Virgin hols and will be using Kenyan Airways.At what time before travel can you request seats and do you recommend upgrading after hearing less flattering reviews of the airline.

Will be gretfull for any help,thanks

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 190
1. Re: zanzibar visa

Most folks suggest getting your visa on arrival in Tanzania.

Kenyan is a member of Skyteam most of whom allow seat choice 90days out on Longhaul. http://www.kenya-airways.com/

I have never felt the need to upgrade with KQ. Service down the back is fine!

Bristol
reviews: 45
2. Re: zanzibar visa

We have travelled with Kenya Airways twice. On our return on our first trip we were lucky enough to be upgraded to Business class. This was lovely because it was free but I wouldn't bother to pay for it unless you have money to burn. I would rather spend that money on another holiday rather than a seat on a plane. "Cattle class" is fine and its only about an 8 hour flight anyway.

worthing
reviews: 5
3. Re: zanzibar visa

Thanks a lot for the feed back.Although not travelling until Nov I will obtain the visa when landing in Tanzania,I now understand that i can download the form from the Tanzanian embassy and then pay $50 on arrival.

I had no problem with Kenyan airways its just that it was hard to find a good word about them.As you say its only an 8 hour flight so why waste money on an upgrade when"cattle class" is fine.

Looking forward to my 2 weeks at the "Karafuu" hotel in Zanzibar.

Isle of Man, United...
4. Re: zanzibar visa

Plenty good words on KQ on both this and the Kenyan Forum.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 159
5. Re: zanzibar visa

Hi - we actually got our visa before arriving in Zanzibar...but it would be equally easy to get it once you get there - don't forget you'll also need your yellow fever certificate (they were very strict when we landed!).

As for Kenyan Airways....we flew to Nairobi with them and found them excellent - the food and service was great. The only downside was that the TV/entertainment system didn't work - but it's an 8 hour flight and we flew overnight so slept most of the way.

London, United...
6. Re: zanzibar visa

It's cheaper to get it on arrival, and the only drawback are the long lines. Take a YF certificate, but they won't always ask for it. I wasn't asked for it entering Tanzania from Kenya, or entering Kenya from Tanzania. I flew with Kenya, who were decent.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
7. Re: zanzibar visa

I understand that when you arrive in Zanzibar there is a $70 'visa/immigration payment requirement'. Is this correct?

I will have a visa for Tanzania as I will have gone on my safari before getiing to Zanzibar so what is this $70 for?

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
8. Re: zanzibar visa

You have been misinformed. Your Tanzanian Visa covers the whole of Tanzania including the Island popularly known as "Zanzibar".

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
9. Re: zanzibar visa

That's good to hear. Thanks

nyc
10. Re: zanzibar visa

Gather you obtained or will obtain Tanzania Visa prior arriving in-country? The reason for a $70 fee? A surcharge to the Embassy in SYD?

The actual Visa fee for Aussies is only $50/pp*. so if you haven't purchased, wait till you arrive at JRO or DAR.

*payable in USD.

... and as above, the same Visa is good for Safari on mainland, ZNZ and islands as Pemba, Mafia,

Edited: 3:35 pm, February 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar
Recent Conversations