We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

Which Zanzibar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
reviews: 25
Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

Planned on going to Seychelles and Kenya for our honeymoon but it looks like it might be more practical to do Zanzibar and Tanzania due to flight connections etc.

How does Zanzibar compare to the Seychelles?

Also, I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I remember watching this documentary on TV some time back and it seems as if there are many aggressive sharks or something at Zanzibar??

If we decide on Zanzibar, we would probably stay at The Palms. The beach looks gorgeous. Is this the best or would you recommend elsewhere?

Thank you very much in advance:)

Zanzibar
1. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

Many Sharks:

I think the documentary watched involved Sharks and I think it was combined with other nearby Coasts.

but Zanzibar is very safe for water sport and does not affected by those aggressive imaginable Sharks.

The Palm at East Coast is among of the best small exclusive Resort

Other options of the same type are:-

Star of the East Resort - North Coast

Sultan Palace - East Coast

Anna of Zanzibar - East Coast

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

2. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:14 am, November 08, 2012
nyc
3. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

Not sure of the exact documentary to which you're referring as they're always something on the TV, but do recall recently about an issue with 'sharks' in the Seychelles, where guests were kept out of the waters for a few weeks. Never heard this for Zanzibar.

But sharks are always out there somewhere in the big, big ocean.

We have them often off the coast of Florida and while we've had an occasional 'incident' most of them don't bother with humans. Though there are helis flying over these areas regularly just to be sure none of the big-teeth guys, get "any ideas." Still, doesn't keep people out of the water :-)

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
4. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

I am off to Zanzibar in Sept so can't say for sure, but I have stayed on the Kenyan coast and so an expecting similar sweeping bays of sugar fine sand and with huge tidal differences ie water going out a long way. I'm expecting decent snorkelling to be mainly boat based and I am really looking forward to our short stay on the beach and day exploring stone town.

I have been to the Seychelles and its the most beautiful beach destination I have ever been. It's paradise.

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala
reviews: 69
5. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

It was definitely the Seychelles where the sharks attacked last year.

Depending on which resort you choose, I don't think you'd be disappointed with Zanzibar, it's beautiful.

And then, whichever way you choose to go, the other place will always be there to go to later, won't it?

Happy planning!

:)

Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Dar es Salaam
reviews: 16
6. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

It was off the beach of Anse Lazio in the Seychelles where someone was taken by a shark, shame a poor honeymoon couple and they suspect it was the same shark that took the French tourist a few weeks before.

A shark attack in Zanzibar is unheard of, the beaches are protected by reefs which make the water too shallow most of the time for sharks.

Anyway Zanzibar is lovely and I think if you are wanting to stay somewhere like the Palms then you will be very happy. Tanzania and the people here are really amazing so doing a safari / beach option would be the best bet and I think it would save you a lot of time in terms of connections.

Some other good hotels to look at if you want a few options:

Kilindi

Matemwe Retreat

Anna of Zanzibar

Diamonds Star of the East

I think you will get a much more authentic African experience in Zanzibar. Stone Town is also a must in my opinion just for a night, I think it is such a great experience and lots of history and culture.

Washington DC...
7. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

Hi,

We find ourselves with the same dilemma as you did: "We planned on going to Seychelles and Kenya for our honeymoon but it looks like it might be more practical to do Zanzibar and Tanzania due to flight connections etc."

I assume you already went on your honeymoon. It would be very helpful for us to get some feedback from you. Where did you end up going? Why did you pick that place over the other one? Could you share your travel itinerary, suggestions?

Many thanks!

Edited: 4:30 pm, January 03, 2013
Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
8. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

I'm not the original poster, but I have now been to both Zanzibar and the Seychelles. Whilst I enjoyed my visit to Zan, beautiful beaches and it is convenient to combine with a safari on the mainland. It's not in the same league as the Seychelles for me. I combined a safari to Northern Tanzania and the Seychelles 12 years ago by flying into Nairobi, driving down to Amboseli in Kenya (a beautiful park by the way) and then handing over to another operator before visiting Tarangire, Ngorongoro and Serengeti before heading back to Nairobi spending a night there and then heading to the Seychelles for a few nights before flying back to NBO and onwards home. I found it more than doable and it was an excellent trip. The Seychelles even beats French Polynesia for me. It's my number one island paradise.

nyc
9. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

CC C -

Suggest you PM (private message) the original poster as they don't seem to have checked into this forum since the initial thread.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 25
10. Re: Between Zanzibar and Seychelles

I too am thinking of Kenya and Seychelles but my agent is saying Zanzibar...i have been all over the world and the Seychelles is still on the bucket list. If I were to go ...what island and where would you suggest I stay...thanks

Edited: 10:50 am, May 23, 2013