We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tsavo park is best?

Which Tsavo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Which Tsavo park is best?

Hi

I am going to Mombasa at the end of October for my honeymoon and planning on booking a safari while we are out there. I am just wondering if there is any difference in the animals we will spot and the likely hood of spotting them in Tsavo East and West?

Does one park offer more variety of animals and/or better accommodation than the other or is there no difference?

Lastly, how much should I expect to pay per person for a group 3 day/2 night safari in mid range accommodation?

Many thanks in advance

10 replies to this topic
1. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, August 01, 2013

Leeds
reviews: 2
2. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

Hello

Tsavo East is best for larger quantities of game without a doubt. Tsavo West, the northern part, I believe (around Kilaguni?) is supposed to be excellent for leopard but on the whole Tsavo East is where I would spend my 2 nights if wildlife is the priority.

Accomodation-wise, it can be anything you're willing to pay - great camps in both.

For prices, I'd recommend emailing the operators reviewed and recommended on Trip Advisor to see which one you like. My recommendation would be:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g294210-…

Used them a couple of times and they have great reviews on here.

3. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, March 28, 2014

BATH
reviews: 4
4. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

Hi,

Can't say which park is the best - was recommended by JT Safari that Tsavo East is very important whilst on safari.

My partner & I are doing a 2 night, 3 day safari with JT Safaris (recommended on Trip Advisor) in September.

We are staying at Saltlick lodge in the West, Satao Camp in the East with private 4x4 for 760$ each.

Look him up - he's been very helpful with our plans :)

Laura

Leeds
reviews: 2
5. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

Saltlick is in its own reserve (Taita Hills) and not Tsavo West. Very good nonetheless.

BATH
6. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

I stand corrected LeedsMad.

I was getting information from TA - Saltlick Lodge review listed in Tsavo West.

Davenport, Florida
7. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

My husband and I are going on a 30 night cruise that will stop in Mobassa for one day. WE have a choice of shore excursions to either Tsavo East or Tsavo West and we are wondering if anyone can tell us which would be better for viewing lions, cheetahs, leopards, giraffes, elephants ( and of course as many other of their beautiful animals as possible). We would also have the choice of picking a private company to take us to Simba Hills or Maasai Mari, but also need to know if they are that much better to be worth spending the extra money.Any help deciding would be greatly appreciated! Regards

Toronto
reviews: 63
8. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

The research I have been doing for a safari experience from Mombasa is pointing to Tsavo East as the closest must see game reserve. Shimba Hills is small and a great 'add on' for people on a multi-day safari. Maasai Mari would be too far to drive.

Amalfi, Italy
9. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

Tsavo East is a must for good game view.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
10. Re: Which Tsavo park is best?

Sandra, to go to the Mara you would have to fly but it is worth the extra money. Of the two Tsavos I liked East better for game. Shimba Hills does look like a good add on also.

Reply to: Which Tsavo park is best?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo