We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Which Tsavo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth...
reviews: 15
Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Just back from three days/two nights safari to Tsavo East and West. The Safari was booked from England with JT Safaris and I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable three days of my life. When you book with JT, he only puts your party in the safari vehicle, no sharing with others, in ours it was just me and my wife. You can pick any lodge in the park but I would suggest Ashnil/Aruba Lodge in Tsavo East and Kilaguni Lodge in Tsavo West. Both lodges were excellent, but Kilaguni will really blow you away with it’s setting. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner whilst overlooking a watering hole visited by all of the big game that Kenya has to offer. The backdrop is a vast plain leading to mountains in the distance. All meals are included in the price of the safari but drinks in the lodges are extra.

We contacted JT Safaris (Julius) via email at jtsafaris@yahoo.com and asked a price for three days/two nights to Tsavo, using the above lodges. The price was quoted as $1100 US Dollars and a deposit of $200 dollars was sent to his bank account via my bank. Please don’t be put off sending the money as he is an honest business man that relies on his good name, a search of his positive feedback should put you at ease. $1100 US Dollars at the moment is only £704 at today’s rate.

We met lots of people who had booked through their travel company and were crammed into vehicles and were becoming very irate. One guy asked if he and his wife could jump in our van as his was too crowded, we had to explain that we paid $1100 to be alone so politely refused. Many others told us that they had to get out of their hotel rooms whilst they were on Safari, If you book independently from you travel agent this does not happen. I don’t quite understand why the hotels make you get out of your room for a few days, as they probably don’t rent them to others. Others that booked through one of the major companies spent a night in a very high class sort of tent, book with JT and this doesn’t happen.

The Safari started early in the morning, where we were picked up by our driver (Francis) and the first couple of hours were spent driving to Tsavo East. Nearly all of the vehicles in the park are similar (mainly Toyota and Nissan type small minibuses), they are great as the roof levers up and you have 360 degree visibility, ideal for cameras and binoculars. As soon as we went through the gate we started seeing monkeys and baboons, but as we got further in to the park we started to see elephants, antelope and Zebra. We arrived at our Lodge around 1pm and had a lovely lunch and settled into our room, birds and lizards were so colourful. We went out for an evening game drive at around 4pm and saw many colourful birds, giraffes, elephants, jackal and Impala. Back for a superb Dinner at our lodge just as it got dark.

The next morning we went for an early game drive heading for Tsavo West, we saw a pride of six lions trying to get some antelope but they failed. We exited the park at a different gate and after an hours’ drive we were entering Tsavo West. The parks are very different Tsavo East is fairly flat and the animals are generally easier to see, Tsavo West is much more rugged and scenic with mountains, forests and rivers, so the animals are a little harder to see. On the way to the lodge we saw warthogs, mongoose, many beautiful birds, Ostrich, elephant, gazelle, giraffe, dikdiks, waterbuck, and kudu. We arrived at our lodge in time for lunch and were blown away by Kilaguni’s beauty. After settling into our room we went for the evening game drive saw giraffe antelope, hippo, crocodile, eagle owl, zebra, and elephant. At dinner that evening we were stunned to watch the animals at the waterhole, Leopard, Buffalo, Zebra, Gazelle and warthogs. The following morning we had a long scenic game drive through the park, where we saw a huge Martial Eagle at very close quarters, he had just caught a small Dikdik and we were not going to frighten him off so he just stared at us from ten foot away and we took some very good pictures. We saw the strange secretary bird, hornbills, vultures and bustards as well as all of the usual elephants, zebra, giraffes etc.

We exited by yet another gate and drove for about three and a half hours back to our hotel in Diani. We paid the balance after the safari, and Julius gave us some carved animals as presents.

A couple of tips if you are serious about photography, a small bean bag from ebay costs about a fiver and was a fantastic tool to absorb some of the vans vibration, also my monopod was used to advantage. Helms guide – Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania was a great book if you are serious about birds, we left our brand new copy for Francis and he was over the moon. At the airport (Nairobi), the bookshop had the same copy on sale for £56 so I now know why he was so happy.

Julius rang our driver every day and insisted on speaking to us to make sure we were enjoying our trip, a very nice touch. Our driver was superb throughout and was so knowledgeable on the roads, birds, animals, trees, etc. Will we go again, you bet, will we go with JT Safaris again, you bet and will we ask for Francis as our driver, you bet!

12 replies to this topic
Hampshire
reviews: 6
1. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Please can you tell me is the price you said per person or for both of you?

Thanks

graham

Hampshire
2. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Please can you tell me is the$1100 was both of you or each?

Thanks

Graham

Portsmouth...
3. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Hi Graham,

Yes it was $1100 for the van and driver (not each).

Well worth the money for the freedom that being alone as a couple brings.

Francis stopped wherever we wanted and looked after us really well.

Mick

Hampshire
4. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Thanks for comming back to me Mike - we want to really use J T Safaris - we are

being picked up from airport and for them to take us to the Ashnil so we can relax and get over our flight – stay first night. so no safair then:-

Wednesday 16th march – start 3 day safari and stay at the Voi lodge. – second night

Thursday 17th march – stay at the kalguni – third night

Friday 18th march – Drop off at the Pinewood Resort and Spa after safari

So in away it one more night but no more on the safari but he is asking for $1660 - which seems a big difference - what do you think?

Cheers

graham

Portsmouth...
5. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Hi Graham,

Probably a little steep but he has lost his driver for four days (instead of three, in our case) and there is another nights hotel booking. There is extra fuel and you are being picked up from the airport. Without JT, I think it may be hard to get transport from the airport to Ashnil Aruba.

Another way of looking at it is, you are paying £325 more than I did (at todays rate $1660 = £1030).

Yet another way of looking at it is you are paying £343 per night (3 nights). I was only away for two nights and therefore paid £352 per night.

I think that you can make the facts say whatever you want, but at the end of the day if you want to go on Safari then you will have to pay what is asked.

JT maybe is not the cheapest but the service is excellent and peace of mind has a price!

Hope all goes well in whatever you decide.

Mick

bournemouth
reviews: 5
6. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Hi how much did u pay for this safari? did u do private jeep with jt? we have been quoted 1120usd per person for 4 days 3 nights tsavo/amboseli, private road safari, luxury camp/lodges. Is this right price?

7. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, May 07, 2013

Hampshire
8. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

Hi there - we had a private jeep which is a must - price it about right - you will have a great time and this firm was fab - it was over a year ago so you might want to check some more recent comments but we would use them again

Happy holidays (:

reviews: 9
9. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

We went on three trips with them in Feb this year. All I can say is FANTASTIC!! I have never seen a bad review for them. If you want to have the best experience, please do yourself a favour and book with jtsafaris :)

reviews: 9
10. Re: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris

All i can say is FANTASTIC. We went Feb this year and jtsafaris were superb and the price was the best I could find. I have never seen a bad review for them :)

I cannot recommend them enough!! If you join their facebook page you can see lots of photos and comments from many happy customers!!

Reply to: Tsavo Safari with JT Safaris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tsavo