We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking out of hotel,,

Scunthorpe, United...
reviews: 14
walking out of hotel,,

hi do you get hassled much when walking into santa maria by locals , or is it quite relaxed ,,,

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
reviews: 1
1. Re: walking out of hotel,,

The locals don't harass you, it's not their way. There are traders from other African countries who follow you around a bit and try to get you into their shop. A firm 'no' should suffice.

Scunthorpe, United...
reviews: 14
2. Re: walking out of hotel,,

thankyou very much ,,,,,

Milton Keynes...
reviews: 2
3. Re: walking out of hotel,,

We hoping to walk into village on back do u think this is possible ?

Milton Keynes...
reviews: 2
4. Re: walking out of hotel,,

On beach

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
reviews: 1
5. Re: walking out of hotel,,

From which hotel?

United Kingdom
reviews: 10
6. Re: walking out of hotel,,

I personally wouldn't walk on any beach anywhere late at night if it's pretty much deserted. It's ok f there's restaurants and beach bars but not at very quiet parts. No way.

reviews: 6
7. Re: walking out of hotel,,

We didnt get much hassle. We went once with the rep and once ourselves. I would say they were more persistant when we were with the group. When we went ourselves we walked along the beach hassle free and got a taxi back but this was because of the heat.

8. Re: walking out of hotel,,

Hi

I am a local and I can say that capeverdians are to shy to hassle and we love to see people free. But traders from west africa may be a little bit pushy. Just say a firm NO with no smile.

United Kingdom
reviews: 10
9. Re: walking out of hotel,,

A firm No didn't always work. I was told that I was a racist because I ended up ignoring one persistant trader, so I was given that abuse when I finally ignored him completely. Obviously, I didnt go near his shop after that. Most traders were really really nice, the West Africans were very friendly and not that pushy. I always buy at the places with less hassle and friendly traders. I really liked nearly everyone I met there.

North Walsham...
10. Re: walking out of hotel,,

Little tip. Bring a sweat band for your wrist cover up the All inc wrist band if you have 1. Buy a cple of little bits on the beach from a local, few euros that's it, or a wrap if your a woman they have CV ones, or a baseball cap, anything daft. Every trading shop sells nearly the same type of stuff. But the little bit helps the economy.

I walk the beach on my own, for woman stay in pairs, only, for safety and in case you have an accident, sometimes the waves are strong in certain parts.

Get answers to your questions about Ilha do Sal