We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Boa Vista

Fishing Boa Vista

Hello. Me and my girlfriend are going to Riu Karamboa, Boa Vista early November. We really want to do some fishing while we are there! Does anyone have any experience with the fishing there? We wanna fish for the big ones.. can you book a trip in Sal Rei? What is the prices? We are traveling with Star Tour, and we can book a fishing trip through them, but all we know about the trip is that its by boat and with pro fishermen..

Thanks in advance for any help!

wigan
reviews: 27
1. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Hi lassesadf,We wnet to the Karamboa in Feb.I took a telescopic fishing rod with me(one thats fits nicely into suitcase)so i could avoid watching the wife and her kindle.Honestly caught shark with this rod directly off the beach 100 yards down from the sunbeds.Im not a fisherman just wanted something to do rather than read perpetually.I caught numerous fish over the 2 weeks,4sharks in all ranging from 16 inches to 30 inches..You can also book a fishing trip on a small boat to do reef fishing with the hotel shacks on the beach.Boat normally for 4 costing about 50 euro each,equipment supplied.I went with three french blokes to make the number up and we caught about 50 kilo of fish between us.If you have any further questions id be pleased to help.

2. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Cool, thanks for your help! What kind of lures did you use on the beach? Just some random you had with you or did you buy it there? Maybe I'll bring my telescopic rod aswell :)

Do you recommend the trip you had with the boat? Was it sharks you got there aswell or was it any other nice fishes? :)

Thanks again!

wigan
3. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Firstly let me apologise for not answering your question properly.I was a total novice to fishing prior to gong to Boa and met a Brit fishermen on the beach.He advised me straight away and respooled my rod with 18lb line secured a wieght heavy enough so i could cast about 50 metres.The fish swim close in to feed.He rigged me up a 2 hook paternorster rig and then i started.Within 15 mins id caught a small shark and 2 others within the hour.He helped me out initially with bait but i managed to acquire some myself via one of the waiters in the main restaurant.He got me some barbecuable prawns which the fish loved.,id slip him 5 euros every other day and hed supply some bait (GOOD BLOKE) You could on the other hand pop into Sal Rei to the fish market in the morning and buy some bail there.As regards to the boat trip,although very enjoyable it was only to a reef about a mile from the Karamboa and the fish where between 6 and 10inch long,dont ask me the names of them.The three Frenchmen i went with had caught hammerhead sharks off the beach about 500yards to the right as you look from the hotelIf there are any other questions i might be able to help with just ask and i will try to be as helpful as the fishermen who gave me all the advice that i needed.Regards Taff

4. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Sounds good! Awesome that those guys helped you out with both your gear and bait! I bet you had loads of fun fishing on the beach there, not every place you get sharks from the hotel beach:D

I appreciate you taking the time to help me :-) really looking forward to get going, just a shame it's soooo long till october! :-)

Thanks again! :)

Edited: 5:14 pm, June 19, 2013
wigan
5. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Let me know how you get on,like to think you have as much luck and fun as i did.Taff

West Midlands
reviews: 6
6. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Hi

Having been to boa vista a few times I can recommend that you go fishing for the big fish with an Italian guy called Massimo he has a fab boat with all equipment and is very experienced. If you go to Sal Rai and go to the Wakkan bar by the local 'gym' the owner there will contact him for you. We have been with him loads of times and have never been disappointed. Also, as someone has already said, you can fish from the beach. If you come out of the hotel to the beach walk up to the right and you will see a wooden cross sticking out of the sea, this area is a good place to fish. Have a word with the chef who will give you bait, we usually give him 5 euros each time. Have caught plenty of sharks from here.

Have a great time

Lesley

7. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Not many days left now! Can't wait to get going! Have booked a trip through the travel agency, one day fishing by boat! Will let you know how it went!

8. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

I will keep him in mind if we want to do some more fishing. What is his prices like?

Thanks

Lasse

uk
9. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Hi,

I am off to boa fir a week on 15th of november and plan to do as much fishing as possible. We are staying at the karamboa so if youd like to hook up, excuse the pun. Give me a shout.

Mark

West Midlands
reviews: 6
10. Re: Fishing Boa Vista

Sorry for the late reply about the prices! I think it is about 600Euros or there about. Have a fab time I'm not jealous at all :-(

Get answers to your questions about Boa Vista