We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit to Niagara Falls

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lagos, Nigeria
visit to Niagara Falls

Hi,

We ll be visiting NYC and wanted to visit the Niagara Falls (Canadian Side), is a canadian visa mandatory ?

And if we see it from the american side, is it worth it vs seeing from the canadian side ?

Replies will be most appreciated.

thanks,

Karan

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
reviews: 43
1. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

As an Indian citizen, you will need a visa to enter Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

You can still see the Falls from the U.S. side, just not the panoramic views available from the Canadian side. This picture will give you an overall view of the area - U.S. at the top, Canada at the bottom. niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interacti…

Edited: 2:17 pm, November 20, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
2. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

The Canadian side is also Better for attractions, history and dining so it may be worth seeing what the hassle and cost is for getting a visa.

Lagos, Nigeria
3. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it

Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 1
4. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

You are planning on flying from NYC to see the falls right?

Lagos, Nigeria
5. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

Yeah thats the plan.

Is it worth it ?? I know seeing it from the canadian side is a much better option, but want to avoid the visa hassles, my passport has literally been hoping between counslates since the last month. :-(

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
6. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

Hi Karan;

Sorry, but I don't see the logic of travelling all this way and not experiencing the best views of the Falls.

You may wish to read these previous posts;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154998-i97-k22090…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k27921…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k351024…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g48261-i182-k356661…

tripadvisor.ca/…35321186

>>"Is it worth it ??"<<

IMHO, only if you visit both sides.

Best Regards

New York
reviews: 113
7. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

I have posted this before, but I had friends from abroad visit only the US side because of visa issues and they truly enjoyed their time here. They were able to take in the major attractions (Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds) and hike the beautiful gorge trails which take you closer to the falls and the rapids than the Canadian side. So while the view on the Canadian side is indeed more expansive, the US side offers more proximity.

I'd also have to respectfully disagree with respect to the Canadian side being superior in terms of dining and history. On the US side we have the Power Vista, Old Fort Niagara, and all of Buffalo to enjoy (a very historic city with some of the best city architecture, arguably, in the world, as well as world-class museums and art).

The US side is much cheaper and you will find much better food. Sorry, but there's a reason Canadians cross the border every day to eat here. Outside of Toronto, the Niagara region of Ontario isn't exactly a foodie-mecca. There are the obvious choices that of course provide excellent food and service, but you'll have to try hard to avoid a tourist trap in the immediate vicinity of the Falls on the Canadian side.

All in all I think the Falls are spectacular and would not discourage anyone from visiting only the US side, I would only caution that outside of tourist season many of the attractions are closed. While it is ideal to see the Falls from both sides, the views from the US side are still excellent.

8. Re: visit to Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 23, 2014