We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Which Montauk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Hi :-)

I was just wondering what travel options are available from East Hampton Airport to the Surf Lodge. I have only come across hire car or cab. Are these the only 2 realistic options?

Thanks in advance :-)

12 replies to this topic
Boca Raton, Florida
reviews: 11
1. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

there is a shuttle bus, the 10 line, runs from east hampton train station to montauk village four or five times a day, unfortunately about three hours apart, not sure it runs on weekends either. you of course would have to get from the airport to the train station, most likely a taxi.

the S92 ( or is it 94 ) runs from further west in southhammpton into east hampton on montauk highway and ends there, but also really infrequent service and not that close to airport.

so much for public transit - you realistically are going to end up in a taxi or car service.

Boca Raton, Florida
2. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

if you are coming from new york city, why not just take the Hampton Jitney bus service, with multiple pickup stops in manhattan. reserve a seat or you likely won't get one.

London, United...
3. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Thanks for the reply queenofhades, I really appreciate the info. I read about the Jitney and I would have definitely went down that route (pardon the pun) if I hadn't won the trip in a competition. Part of the competition prize is return flights on a sea plane to East Hampton Airport. I'm hoping this thing has wheels and they aren't just expecting the runway to be flooded when we arrive :-)

Shirley, New York...
4. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

The seaplane service you are going to be flying on, operates in and out of the East Hampton Airport, every weekend, Thursdays and Fridays from the city, Sunday and Mondays to the city.

London, United...
5. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Thanks for the details Evan C :) I'm just hoping for nice weather now so I can have my camera pressed against the window for the duration of the flight! We fly to the city on 12th June, spend 2 nights there, and then fly out to Montauk for 2 nights. It's my first time in NY and to say I am excited would be an under-statement :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Since it sounds like the trip is a prize, are they not providing transportation from the airport to the hotel????? Renting a car or taking a taxi will not be inexpensive but I suppose if the trip is paid for, maybe you don't mind. If you decide not to rent a car, you will need to arrange for a taxi. They don't sit and wait at the airport. This is a small airport only for private planes.

By the way, a seaplane can land both on water and on land.

Boca Raton, Florida
7. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

NYWhiz makes a very good point about perhaps renting a car. there is an enterprise auto rental in east hampton, and many of their offices ( like the one we use ) will bring the car to you and pick it up when you leave free of charge. of all the major car rental agencies, they tend to be the cheapest. remember -

-- replace the gas you use.

-- be very careful about parking meters and parking rules, very very careful.

montauk has become considerably more sophisticated over the last two or three years but remains a small village. a car might come in handy for travelling in the region to neighboring villages like amagansett or out to the lighthouse.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

There's Hertz desk AT the airport and I think Enterprise also has a desk there.

London, United...
9. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

Thanks for all your reply's with such great help and information :-)

As far as I'm aware the prize providers don't provide transport other than the international flight's and the sea plane flights. Although the final details of it all will be confirmed and finalized in the next week or so.

To be honest I am probably leaning more towards the taxi option. Then I don't have the worry of a huge bill if a hire car gets damaged (not that I'm a bad driver lol). I would have probably gone with this option though if we were there for any more than 2 days. All we are really going to be doing is spending a little time at the Surf Lodge, time at the beach and eating in between. From what I can see, its only about a 15 minute walk from the Surf Lodge to the beach, and we don't mind walking that. With the time that we have there should be enough in and around that general area to keep us busy.

I haven't ruled out the hire car option completely, but those are just my general thoughts.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
10. Re: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge

There are also plenty of local taxis to get you around if you just want to stick to Montauk. The trip from the EH airport to the Surf Lodge can take 30-60 mins. though depending on traffic. It won't be a cheap taxi ride and I do think you need to order a taxi to meet you.

http://goo.gl/maps/Gz9Q0

Reply to: East Hampton Airport to Surf Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted