We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Which Montauk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moate, Ireland
reviews: 2
Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Hey guys,

My cousin and I (two Irish girls) are thinking of travelling from Ireland to Montauk this summer on a J1, from May 25th to August. We're looking for a bit of help with work and accommodation. We are going to start applying for jobs in the next while. This is our first time on a j1 so any help, tips or advice to do with good places to apply for or places to stay would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Maeve :)

NY
reviews: 1
1. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

There are quite a few young irish people working the hamptons in the summer. I don't know where you should look for information but you may want to look up irish specific forums or blogs.

NY
2. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Perhaps look up the irish times

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224318954122.html

Darwin, Australia
reviews: 7
3. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

From my j1 experience there I have to say accommodation can be a nightmare. Super hard to find and very expensive. Lot of people staying in a motel room with 6 people! I would book before I go or try get there early. I stayed in montauk motel. It's central which is great cos a lot of other accommodation is out of town or at the harbour. Work wise there are lots of seasonal jobs but the best ones will go early. I know a lot of people who didn't make much money there so they struggled all summer as they had retail type jobs. Look for good restaurants where you can make a lot of money on tips is my advice!

Carlow, Ireland
4. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

My three friends and I are heading also and accommodation is a bit of a nightmare already !:(

NY
5. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

May 25th may be a tad late to get there.

The hamptons house rental season runs "memorial day to labor day" i.e. starts on May 27th this year and ends in early September. This is when New Yorkers rent homes for the summer. Most businesses start operating a few weeks before to prepare for the "season".

Granted, most restaurants won't run a full staff by the 27th, as in May and June, most renters only show-up on week-ends. So their may still be opportunity to find work. However, most restaurants likely will start to make their key hiring decisions prior to memorial day.

Moate, Ireland
reviews: 2
6. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Thanks a mill for all your help guys! Still looking for accommodation and finding it hard enough. Will definitely try to have it sorted beforehand though. We will be there 2 days before Memorial day so hopefully that will be a benefit for us.

Col92 if you'd like to join in with us looking for accommodation we'd be up for sharing? give me and email maeve.booth@hotmail.com

7. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, April 11, 2013
Yonkers, New York...
reviews: 4
8. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Hey , iv lived in montauk for the summer 2 summers ago , im actually moving out there this weekend to start the summer too. i figured get there early thered b a lot more availability for work and accomodation . when i was last there i went out mid may and all the good places to stay were gone, i ended up living in a bit of dingy place called the tipperary inn, if u can at all from my experience avoid it. now there is one thing its a matter of go out and take what u get then move around to get to the best place . so if u end up living in a not so great spot then just keep an eye out for better . job wise there is work . it was said to me my first time and il quote it to you " if you cant find work in montauk for the summer u wouldnt be able to find ice in antartica". there ya go.. i tho am going out this weekend and lookin for a place to stay and work so if any one knows any at the minute thatd b great . i used to bar tend at bar called the shagwon , its on the main street.

mayo
9. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

Hi,

myself and another girl are going to Montauk on the 31st May, looking to find people to share accommodation?its very hard when there's just two of us! any help appreciated!!! Thanks

Bethpage, New York
10. Re: Summer Accommodation & work in Montauk 2013

I'm a 21 year old female from Ireland and i'm spending the summer in Montauk. I'm staying in Nassau County for a couple of days first but planning out there on Tuesday. I have a job sorted but am struggling with accommodation. Does anyone have any advice?