We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

Which Montauk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

My husband and I will be visiting Montauk Sept. 24-28 (Monday - Friday) looking for surf and relaxation. I have been reading this great forum but would really appreciate some advice.

1. Would like to stay near the best surf spots (Ditch Plains and Turtles? or ??) but somewhere with a nice room with a view. Maybe we have to drive between surf spots anyway. Will need to rent a board since we won't bring any coming from CA.

2. Coming in from Harrisburg PA after visiting our son. What's the easiest way to get to Montauk? It's hard to tell if we can fly there.

Thanks all.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
1. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

You can fly to Islip airport and rent a car there, but there are no nonstops from Harrisburg. You'd have to fly through Philly. You won't save much time over driving, but you'd avoid the one-way car rental fees and hassles. Fares are pretty cheap.

Where are you going after you leave Montauk? This would affect plans for where you want to pick up your rental car. For instance, if you are flying out of LGA, it could make more sense to fly into LGA to pick up your car, then drive out to Montauk. Flying to ISP would just complicate your rental car situation (assuming you want to avoid a drop-off fee).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
2. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

I don't think there are nice places to stay with water views near Ditch Plains. You'll have to drive to the beach anyway, so just pick e nicest hotel your budget will allow.

You cant really fly from Harrisburg but if you dont want to drive the whole way, you could drive to Philadelphia and take a train from there to NYC or out to Montauk and rent a car out there.

NY
3. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

You can stay at the East Deck motel. It is right next to the surfing beach at Ditch Plains. No food nearby though, so you will still need a car.

Alternatively, you can stay at one of the better inns. the Surf Lodge comes to mind. It is surfing-themed and on the water (pond), altough nowhere near a surfing beach.

You can rent boards at several of the local surf shops. Air & Speed, Surf Shack, and Espo's come to mind. They are all in town. Also Main Beach Surf Shop, before you reach the village of East Hampton.

San Francisco...
4. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

Thank you all for your thoughts - - really appreciate it. We think now that we will just drive from Lewisburg PA since it will take almost as long to fly with all the transfers.

Follow up questions:

1. We could drive out to Montauk Sunday afternoon or on Monday morning. Does either day make a difference for traffic?

2. Since we'll have a car and the various surf breaks aren't too far apart, now we're looking for a nice romantic place on the beach (not across a road). Best bets? I see Panoramic View is recommended. Other ideas? Maybe a rental...

Thank you!

NY
5. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

1. If you want to avoid traffic, drive on Sunday early. Sunday pm you will get week-end traffic getting into NYC . The drive out to Long Island will be good as people will be going the other way.

Monday am, you will get commuter traffic into NY, as well as mid-island commuter traffic. If you do Monday, better do outside traffic hours, i.e. 10am to 3pm.

2. One option is to stay at Surf Lodge, if still open. It is on the water (a large tidal pond) and quite trendy. Not sure if they closed after the summer.

Brewster, New York
reviews: 25
6. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

We stayed at the East Deck in Montauk (Ditch Plains) and absolutely LOVED IT!! Water view....right on the beach....and they also have an inground outdoor pool! Some rooms have kitchenettes, which is the one we chose. Definitely not a posh place, and definitely a bit dated, however CLEAN AS A WHISTLE with comfortable beds, working cable TV's, and a WONDERFUL STAFF who were all too eager to suggest great places to eat and things to do, when you're not surfing, that is. I'd definitely recommend the East Deck!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
7. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

The Jewish holiday Yom Kippur is Tues. Sept 25 but it starts at sundown on Mon the 24th. Drive on Sunday.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
8. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

Note there's a big discount available at Panoramic View on TA

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48194-d93317-R…

San Francisco...
9. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

Thank you all so much. We will leave early on Sunday. We are staying at the Surf Lodge because of its proximity to Ditch Plains (tho Panoramic View appealed more to me!), but we wanted a step up from East Deck. Everyone's advice has been so helpful! We appreciate all your time responding.

10. Re: Sept visit- nicest lodging near surf? How to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 26, 2013