We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel stay in LIC

Which Long Island City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
547 posts
74 reviews
Hotel stay in LIC

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to NewYork in April with my family. I am looking at staying at the Country Inn. The price is exceptional compared to prices in Manhattan yet it seems so close. I'm just trying to convince the missus that it is a good and safe place to stay - I base this on reviews of the hotel. Can any local here confirm it is all good ? My youngest is 10 so we wouldn't be coming back in the wee hours but probably heading back from Manhattan around 9 or 10pm.

Thanks in advance

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Hotel stay in LIC

We like that particular hotel chain for it's one bedroom suites with a door between the bedroom and living room, coffee maker, frig and microwave in the room, universally pleasant and helpful staff.

We haven't stayed at that particular property, but the location is often recommended as a less expensive alternative to staying in Manhattan, but only a short subway ride away.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
86,726 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hotel stay in LIC

The area is perfectly safe but not that attractive. If you use it for sleeping it's fine. If you expect to find nearby restaurants you'll be disappointed. It is quite close to midtown Manhattan.

The Country Inn is typically the best value for money in the area but the hotel by all accounts is starting to show wear and tear. The Verve, Vetiver, Holiday Inn Manhattan View and Fairfield Inn Queensborough Bridge are a bit nicer. If you're staying for more than 5 nights and if you don't think you'll be back any time soon , I would try to stay in Manhattan. You'll have a nicer time I think. But if you're used to being budget travelers and would rather spend the money on other things, lots of people find staying in Long Island City perfectly fine. Have a walk around the area using google maps street view.

3. Re: Hotel stay in LIC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 27, 2014