We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Dundee, United...
reviews: 9
flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi,

We are planning to travel on the 27th of December 2011 to Pemba, leaving from Moshi . Is there anyone who knows how to go to Pemba island either using a ferry/boat (if so, do you know the date+time) or taking a flight from Tanga ?

Do you know if coastal aviation will operate if only two people have booked for this flight, as there is no answer when calling their phone number?

Thanks for your help!

Seb

17 replies to this topic
Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
11. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Well I would not trust a coach for that run if you had a flight to catch so you are looking at private Hire.

400km or thereabouts. 5 to 6 hours. It's is doable.

A more certain but expensive alternative would be private hire/lift in the opposite direction to Arusha to catch the connecting flight to Tanga at 12.15.

Ra'anana, HaMerkaz...
12. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Dear Happy8284,

Did you manage to get from Marangu to Pemba via Tanga? I am about to try doing the same. How did it work out for you?

Thanks in advance for sharing

Dundee, United...
13. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Amit,

We did manage to get to Pemba from marangu Via Tanga. But you cannot get a bus to tanga from Moshi, had to go a bit further, took a daladala.(I shall check the exact spot and reply later). It takes a good 6-7hrs( at least our bus did) to get to Tanga, so if you are planning to reach Pemba the same day, I wouldnt advise it, we stayed overnight in Tanga.

Cheers

Dundee, United...
14. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Sorry I meant you cannot get a bus directly to Tanga from marangu not Moshi

Pemba Island...
15. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Only by plane,62US$(one way).

Brussels, Belgium
16. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Hi Karl, as you seem to be an expert in Tanzania, can you tell me if Northern Circuit Adventure company, based in Arusha is a reputable safari/Zanzibar excursion company ? Thanks.Debbie

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
reviews: 6
17. Re: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??

Debbie... I have not heard of Northern Circuit Adventure Co. But there are over 200 safari companies in Arusha so no one knows them all. I did look them up and they appear to have good prices (although I couldn't see if the prices were for group tours or private safaris). I do know where their office is located and it is a valid place which has many safari offices.

Reply to: flight from Tanga to Pemba.. or boat??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pemba Island