We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Comox, Canada
Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown

Hi There,

We will be in lake Placid in May and are planning on driving to Cooperstown for an over night trip then heading back to Lake Placid. Which route would be the most scenic and relaxing to do in an over night trip from Lake Placid? Also which sights along the way are worth seeing?

Thanks!

Karen

3 replies to this topic
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
reviews: 15
1. Re: Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown

I would guess that you will receive many suggestions. There are many alternate routes. One suggestion is to take the Saranac Lake/Tupper Lake/Old Forge route south (lunch in Old Forge). This route is about 30-45 mins longer than some other routes with more highway. On the way north you could take route 20 east to route 30 north (Amsterdam) and route 67 east to Saratoga. I would recommend Saratoga or Ballston Spa for a lunch stop on that day. Another great stop would be the scenic drive up Prospect Mountain in Lake George (exit 21 of I-87) If you use mapquest.com, you can drag the route around and see how much time you will add in each direction. I imagine the drive will be about 3.5-4 hours without stops.

Have a great trip.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 126
2. Re: Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown

You could take NY-30/NY3 to NY-28 in Blue Mountain Lake then take NY-28 South right to Cooperstown. Very scenic (especially from Blue Mountain Lake to Old Forge).

Albany, New York
3. Re: Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown

Every route will be beautiful at that time of year, just avoid the Northway - it'll be crazy with saratoga traffic. If you get to Cooperstown, get there as early as you can and spend the most relaxing delicious day of your life at "B and B Ranch" in Fly Creek. Horseback riding, a stocked pond, spa, indoor pool, the most gorgeous luxury digs you'll ever see at a "b and b", and a farm to table restaurant that is off the charts!! (We were JUST there, can you tell? :)) Cute town, delightful pace... You'll have a blast!!!!!!!! Enjoy!

Reply to: Driving from Lake Placid to Cooperstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted