We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The North Pole and Skiing

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellmore, new york
reviews: 2
The North Pole and Skiing

We're contemplating taking a "family trip" with a 9 and 7 year-old to Santa's Workshop and looking for a REASONABLE hotel/resort near the Workshop, and also near a ski area. If possible, we'd like a hotel with an indoor pool. Anybody have any good suggestions. It would be appreciated if someone can give me some insight. Thanks!

Edited: 2:05 pm, November 20, 2012
Brownstown, MI
reviews: 22
1. Re: The North Pole and Skiing

I'll be happy to give you some insight as I'm an Adirondack Native and we spend a week every Sept. in Lake Placid.

Santa's Workshop has limited hours in the winter, and might even be closed for the better part of the winter. You might definitely want to check this out before planning to spend time there.

As for hotels with indoor pools, Lake Placid has several and depending on your budget, you can spend a less or a lot more. The Crown Plaza is very nice and I would recommend the suites in the newer wing. The views are stunning and you could accommodate your whole family in one suite. There is also the Golden Arrow Resort located right on Mirror Lake though I have never stayed there. They do have an indoor pool. Mirror Lake Inn is gorgeous but definitely on the pricey end. The indoor pool is amazing and needs to be seen to be appreciated. Additionally, there is the Whiteface Lodge and Lake Placid Lodge both of which are on the high end. Also, there is the High Peaks Resort and I'm not sure if they have an indoor pool but I believe they do. I've not stayed at High Peaks either.

If you want to forgo the indoor pool, I definitely recommend Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn as the place to stay. The rooms spacious and clean and prices are very reasonable. The staff is very accommodating, parking is plentiful and free. We stay here every Sept. though we have stayed several times at Mirror Lake Inn.

It all boils down to how much you want to spend. Skiing, in and of itself, is expensive so if your primary goal is to ski, I'd go with the less

expensive rooms. If you want to sit and relax near the pool, go for the pricier places.

There are lots of nice places to eat in Lake Placid including Cafe Rustica, Alegria, Great Adirondack Steak, Lake Placid Pub and Brew, Pan Dolce etc.

Additionally, if you want some other outdoor activity, I would recommend horseback riding at the Adirondack Equine Center. They also have

sleigh rides, snow permitting. Great people run it and we ride with them each fall. Also, you might want to visit some of the Olympic venues. They may be holding events or training while you are there so you may be lucky to see some current/future Olympians.

Hope this helps you out a little, and of course, use Trip Advisor to nail down your final decisions! Good luck and have a great time in the High Peaks area.

Brownstown, MI
reviews: 22
2. Re: The North Pole and Skiing

Addendum to the previous post:

Whiteface Mt. Is located in Wilmington and there are no indoor pools that I'm aware of as there are mostly mom and pop motels. I assume those motels are open in the winter but you may wish to check. I've never stayed at any of them. Regardless of where you stay, you will be driving to ski. Whiteface stands all alone in all it's majesty!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
reviews: 17
3. Re: The North Pole and Skiing

There is a free shuttle between most Lake Placid and Wilmington hotels and Whiteface:

lakeplacid.com/explore/getting-here/free-shu…

4. Re: The North Pole and Skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 16, 2013