We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

koa-camping

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vermont
reviews: 42
koa-camping

any reviews on the KOA in lake placid area?

ohio
reviews: 3
1. Re: koa-camping

Sorry I don't know anything about the KOA campground, however, you might wish to check out Fish Creek Pond Campground if you don't mind a further drive to Lake Placid. It's approximately 25 miles from LP and I believe it's on route 30 but worth the trip. It's a a wonderful campground and every campsite is on the water. Reservations are made through Reserve America but after Labor Day reservations aren't necessary. Maybe the locals can add to this with better directions and some additional info. Have a great time.

LPNY
reviews: 5
2. Re: koa-camping

I don't know much about KOA either, but as the previous poster suggested Fish Creek is very nice. We actually just got back from Rollins Pond which is in the same vicinity as Fish Creek but further back. You actually pull into the entrance of Fish Creek and drive through it a bit before entering Rollins Pond. They don't allow Motor Boats on Rollins Pond so it is quieter and there is more privacy between camp sites. We had a great time! A spot right on the pond and very relaxing! here is the website for Fish Creek www.fishcreekpond.com If you click on Introduction you can click on Rollins Pond.

Wilmington, New York
3. Re: koa-camping

The Lake Placid KOA is in fact not in Lake Placid, but in Wilmington, about 10 miles from lake Placid. While I have not stayed there (I live in Wilmington!), I know it's pretty popular and well-kept. There are lots of things to do in Lake Placid and Wilmington and the surrounding area.

Near Lake Placid NY
reviews: 18
4. Re: koa-camping

Everything depends on what you are looking for. . .

My sister stayed at the KOA five or six years ago, and had a very good but very KOA experience.

Fish Creek is a step down on the commercial scale. Most of the sites are large and on the water. It is very busy, but it surprisingly quiets down at night. In high season there is an ice cream truck and activities, but things really quiet down after labor day. There is only one shower house, but there are ample bathrooms scattered through out. Yes, there are motorboats and jet skis, but we fished off our site every morning, kayaked and watched the loons.

Rollins Pond and Buck Pond (located in Onchiota, about 17 miles from Saranac Lake but closes labor day weekend) are much quieter and have some really nice private sites. There is nothing commercial about these campsites, but we have enjoyed our time there. Take a look at reserve america -- they describe the campgrounds fairly well.

Lake Placid
5. Re: koa-camping

Some other thoughts: the Wilmington KOA is more popular with Mountain Bikers, as it has trails and is a mile from Whiteface Mountain. It's not on the water and offers no boating, but trails lead to the Ausable river for swimming. People tell me that it's usually well kept, with some cabins and a decent store.

ohio
6. Re: koa-camping

It's true that Fish Creek is busy in summer months. It's busy because it's so nice and everyone wants to camp there. It's a wonderful camground anytime of the year but after Labor Day it's extremely quiet and takes on a whole different atmosphere. Plenty of sites available even though they close part of the campground after Labor Day. The bottom line is you can't go wrong at either the KOA or Fish Creek.

7. Re: koa-camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 05, 2009