We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lalibela - bad knee

Addis Ababa...
Lalibela - bad knee

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to Lalibela for the 7th of Jan Christmas Ledet.

I have a bad knee that makes steep slopes etc difficult (I can trek low level walks) and wondered if Lalibela is difficult to walk around?

Also the main event for Ledet midnight on the 6th-7th? If I plan to fly back the afternoon of the 7th would I be missing out on the main Christmas events?

Thanks in advance for the help

Vita

England
reviews: 38
1. Re: Lalibela - bad knee

Hi, I have recently returned from Ethiopia and spent 2 nights in Lalibela.

I'm 60 + and not at all fit, but didn't have any problems walking around in Lalibella other than getting a bit overheated and breathless. From my hotel, the Tukul Village, it was a 15 minute uphill walk to the churches, but not what I'd call steep.Once at the churches there are various steps and stony passages to negotiate.

I didn't walk in and out of the town centre at night, because it was just too far from my hotel and too much of a hill for me after a full day exploring, but the hotel arranged transport if guests required it. The town centre itself is very small and easy to stroll around.

I know that it's possible to do some trekking from Laibella, but can't advise on this - the area is stunning, but mountainous...Good luck!

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
reviews: 3
2. Re: Lalibela - bad knee

Hi

the main celebration is on the eve night of the JAN 7 is also the birth day of both st lalibela and Jesus. There is thousands of pilgrims to attend the event. People shove each other when they pass in the narrow tanal. There is a long hour stand or seat if you can find a place to see the BETHA KULU ALEM literaly means given away to the world. this song is a symbol of unit /PEACE between heaven ANGELS and earth MAN.

*see the other churchs on Jan 6

* you don't miss anything if you leave at the afternoon Jan 7

* make your friends in the front and Back so they can make free way and protection when you pass .

I think you can do it.

Go for it.

3. Re: Lalibela - bad knee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:06 am, January 13, 2013
4. Re: Lalibela - bad knee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, February 02, 2014