We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Docking at Lake George

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Avoca, Pennsylvania
reviews: 22
Docking at Lake George

I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer on docking a boat on Lake George. I have a "new to me" boat. However, I'm not new to boating. I am going to try something new to me... I'm taking my boat to Lake George in August. I will be docking my boat at our resort over night. I would like to use my boat as a mode of transportation to restaurants, shopping, site seeing, etc... I think this would be a neat way to see the area. Is there places to dock my boat for restaurants, shopping, site seeing? If so, where? How much/cost? Are there free places? What is the proper etiquette? Do I call ahead or is there someone there to check in with? I have received very general answers for Chamber of Commerce. But, I'm looking for some real advice. Someone that is in the know... Can give specifics.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me some info on my questions. Happy Boating.

Boston
reviews: 66
1. Re: Docking at Lake George

You are already staying on the water and since you do not state where your staying its really irrelevant. Yes, You can use your boat to visit many restaurants by water on Lake George, you can either dock at the particular restaurant itself or if they dont have docks you can dock at the town docks in the Village of Lake George. All docking is free at the restaurants that supply docks for there customers, Im not 100% sure if the town charges by the hour for docking or it its free. Either way it wont be all that expensive.

You do Not have to call ahead, if you see an empty dock pull in.

Most of all the action takes place in either the Village of Lake George or the town of Bolton which is just up the Lake a little, they also, or I should say did have town docks for free when I use to tow my boat up to LG.

You really do not need a boat to go anyplace, everything in Lake George Village is fairly close to one another such as restaurants, shopping and activities, you can probably walk to the village depending on where you’re staying so a boat really would not be necessary. .

In most cases people take a boat for water sports, cruising the beautiful lake or just sightseeing from the water. Having dock space at restaurants is just an added amenity and a great one at that.

Also check to see if you have to register the boat for a day or two, Im Not sure how this works anymore.

Boston
2. Re: Docking at Lake George

Town docks at Lake George Village are currently only open between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. during the summer tourist season and charge $2-per-hour fee.

They are trying to extend the time to overnight in which they might have already done.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
reviews: 206
3. Re: Docking at Lake George

You will need to register your boat with Lake George and obtain a permit. The fee is modest, say $20

Getting around by boat is the best way to see the lake, You can go to a few restaurants this way. Lake George Village as noted has docks with a fee Bolton has free docking as does Hague.

Lake George Village and Bolton Landing also have restaurants you can access by boat. Boathouse Restaurant in the Village, Algonquin in Bolton have there own docks too

Another thing t do is go to a ranger station and book a "day use" site. Go to the Long Island ranger station or Glen Island Ranger station and book a "day use" site and have a picnic lunch on an island.The cost is $10 for the day. Far better view and better experience than any restaurant anywhere! The Ranger stations are actually fairly easy to spot as they always have a flag flying on the island.

I recommend Speaker Heck Island if going to the southern portion of the lake - ask for a site on the east side of Speaker Heck - you can book Speaker Heck at the Long Island Ranger station.

If you want to be a bit further north then go to Glen Island in the Narrows - then you have a lot more options. Black Mountain Point North, Sara Island, Hazel Island are all favorites of mine. There is also a small store on Glen Island - you can buy some essentials or even ice cream or candy for the kids there.

If you want to go further north then you can go to Ranger Island and request a site at Picnic Island in the Mother Bunch.

Have fun with the boat. Lake George is best by boat.

Boston
4. Re: Docking at Lake George

Just a little more info

www.lakegeorge.com/boating/regulations.cfm

http://www.lgpc.state.ny.us/faq.html

Avoca, Pennsylvania
reviews: 22
5. Re: Docking at Lake George

Thanks for the great information. It was just what I was looking for.

Ballston Spa, New...
6. Re: Docking at Lake George

Are you staying at a resort where you can launch your boat or do you need recommendations on where to launch? You will need a Lake George permit which costs $7.50/day or $11.50/week. There is metered public parking right in the villiage near the big tour boats and there is a restuarant right there called The Lookout. There are several restuarants you can dock at and eat, there are a few right in the villiage, The Boardwalk, Shoreline, Neptunes. If you venture north and you should as you go away from the villiage the views get better and better. About a mile or so from the villiage on the west side going north there is a restuarant called The Boathouse, really nice. They have kids there to help you dock. Further north up the Lake, same west side in Bolton Landing just before the famous Sagamore Resort is another nice restuarant called The Algonquin with dock spaces and nice kids to help. Just an FYI, while it's a must to see Lake George villiage, its nicer to walk around the shops in Bolton Landing. There are a lot of beautiful bays to visit like the famous Log Bay on the east side across from the Sagamore Resort, lots of people tie up and hang there. Note: please pay attention to the 5 mile an hour no wake zones, there are quite a bit.

Boston
7. Re: Docking at Lake George

" The Boathouse '

The Boathouse is located at Cresthaven Lodge on Shore Rd, it is an excellent place to have lunch, there is plenty of dock space, they also have a great open air bar that has a happy hour in the evenings where you can sit back and relax.

http://www.cresthavenlodges.com/

Pictures of the boathouse where you can dine and drink.

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv323/TheDiceman7/Lake%20George2010/#!cpZZ2QQtppZZ16

8. Re: Docking at Lake George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 14, 2013