We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis,Maryland
reviews: 1
Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Hi everyone,

Never been to Lake George before looking to travel there last week of July or 1st week of August. We are 2 families traveling together looking to rent a house ( so 4 adults, 3 kids and 1 infant) any suggestions at what sites are best for looking at house rentals for the week. Also is there a certain area that is better to be then others ( IE walking distance to town etc)

Thanks,

DAwn

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
reviews: 195
1. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Welcome to the LG forum.

First the time of the year you are planning on coming up is ideal. The days are long, the lake is generally at its warmest and everything is full swing then.

A few sites are possible to look for a house rental - which by the way is a great way to stay at the lake. - www.adkbyowner.com is a popular site; local realtors are also sources - this is just one you can try lakegeorgeproperties.com/Nav.aspx/…3d2567 there are others too and of course the Warren County Tourism site http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/lodging.php

Personally I like Bolton Landing area the best. For that area you can search Basin Bay, Diamond Point, Bolton Bay, Huddle Bay or Northwest Bay. If you cannot find anything in your budget there you can also look at Silver Bay, or Hague but then you start getting further away from Bolton Landing and Lake George Village

Lake George Village is an area you will likely go to at least once on your stay if nothing else for the kids - they have arcades and lots of T Shirt type shops. I rarely go to LG Village. Bolton Landing (9 miles north of LG Village) has a nicer small town feel. Of course it is a very small town - it has some nicer shops, no arcades and plenty of restaurants. It is a very pleasant town.

You will likely end up driving to any town that you intend to visit unless you rented a house directly within Bolton or Lake George Village. There are not a lot of rentals in the Village that are on the lake.but the Bolton area has a lot of rentals that are on the Lake

Edited: 5:05 am, January 04, 2011
Annapolis,Maryland
2. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Thanks for the reply, I started looking at Bolton last night and it looks wonderful, it nice to have the lowdown on the area, appreciate the help!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

You are welcome. Post again with any other questions.

Westchester County
reviews: 2
4. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

As usual, ADK gave great suggestions. I would add the Quarters at Lake George which is on the outskirts of the Village and right on the lake. They are townhouses that rent for the week. They also have an indoor/outdoor pool and their own beach.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Thanks BBMom for the reminder of the Quarters. I have never stayed there but they always look nice and I have heard good things about them. They are a very short drive into LG Vilage. http://www.lakegeorgeresorts.com/

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 5
6. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Hi Dawn - We just booked a terrific condo in Lake Placid for a week in August through the following site - it has many listings for Lake George:

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r1742

Hope you find something!

Regards, Renish.

Annapolis,Maryland
7. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

found a house that will work great in Bolton Landing, cannot wait to visit. Now where are good places to eat, must see's etc. Looking forward to July

Dawn

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

Glad you found a place that works for you. There are several dining options in Bolton Landing. Cates is an Italian place and is generally good. Sagamore Pub in BL landing has a nice atmosphere and good food too, Son of Sailor was new this past year but was well received. I have had a few meals there that were enjoyable. Michael Arthurs Steakhouse Ryefields and the others in town I do not frequent as much but they too have also been decent over the years. The Sagamore Hotel has quite a few choices (with ever escalating price points)

I have found very little decent quality food in Lake George Village but I am sure others will chime in with the ones they have found to be decent. For pizza in the LG Village I like Capri. A little further south of LG Village on Glen Lake (near Great Escape amusement park) is the Docksider. I like it there - a real family place.

A few others that are noteworthy - are the Algonquin on the Lake - just south of Bolton Landing main drag - and The Boathouse also right on the lake but closer to LG village. Both are fun to enjoy the decks and watching the boats come and go.

In Queensbury a little further south yet again has the run of the mill chains with all their blah non descript food - but it also has a few other home town restaurants - like the Harvest that are worth it too. Queensbury also has a good Chinese restaurant on Rt 9 just south of the Great Escape - its name slips my mind (Anyone else can help with the name???)

You will not lack for food options. in the area - there are plenty more - even in Warrensburg which is not too far from BL.

Boston
reviews: 55
9. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

90% of all activities take place in LG village, while Bolton is a beautiful little town if you blink your eyes you would have already driven through it.

Most all of the shopping, boat tours, variety of restaurants and kid activities take place at LG village or just outside the village but, as long as you have a car and dont mind driving back and forth to the village you should be fine. .

I would never tell a first timer to LG to stay in Bolton landing.

10. Re: Best site for renting houses/cabins at Lake George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:46 am, July 09, 2011