We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is Lake George in early April?

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
How is Lake George in early April?

My girlfriend and I are looking to get away somewhere for a few days in early April. Is there anything to do this early in the year? Would you recommend going during this time?

Thanks

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
reviews: 195
1. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

To be honest early April is not the best time to come. The lake is way too cold to swim - and depending on how early you are there it may still be frozen in places. Many seasonal places have not yet opened and usually do not open until mid May.

Early April may also be quite wet and rainy. The flowers are not yet in bloom. I think Lake George is a fantastic place but I would rather you come and visit when it is much nicer. Early April is probably the period of time that Lake George offers the least. Too warm to ski, too cold to swim, hiking trails may still have snow/ice, leaves are not out etc.

Have you considered the Catskills? That much farther south it is likely a bit more suitable for a fun few days.

Come back up for Memorial Day weekend.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
reviews: 16
2. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

I agree with everything ADK said, though I do enjoy it while it is a bit deserted! We usually put our boat in during the last weekend of April if all of the ice is out. HTH.

NYC
3. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

Thanks. I am of course not expecting much since I know its not the best time of the year, but do you think it would be alright?

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
4. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

It will be OK. While you are here check out some of the non weather dependent things to do - like the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake - really a great place and look into Saratoga Springs as well. Glens Falls (near Lake George) has a nice art museum - the Hyde Collection.

Westchester County
reviews: 2
5. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

I have been to Lake George in every season and I've never been disappointed. The Sagamore is a great place to stay for a girl's weekend. Go into Saratoga Springs to shop the main drag. It's quaint and they have eclectic shops. We go every summer for a week at the end of July/beginning of August so I know how crowded everything can get then. Going at an off peak time is nice.

NJ
6. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

We came to Lake George for spring break with our two little kids. Naturally it was cold, but not freezing. 2 out of 3 days we were there - it was sunny and pleasant. We spent some time at the beach with our chairs and kids played around in the sand. It was very relaxing. There was nobody in town - practically and that made it completely relaxing. We staued at Holiday Inn and they have an indoor pool, so swimming was covored.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
7. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

Thanks for the report - it is always nice to hear good things about the lake no matter what the season. Seems kids can always have fun.

8. Re: How is Lake George in early April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 19, 2009