We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 day trip in sept . in NY

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 12
20 day trip in sept . in NY

Hi I worked al weekend on the draft and would love to hear peoples advise

We are two women traveling and renting a car - I have a mobility disability and will be traveling with a wheelchair therefore I am also Interested to know if places are accessible to scenic drives and not so much walking .

How would you change the schedule ???

Also I would love to know how many toll roads there are and how much the toll roads cost ?

Here is it - I would love to hear of alternatives if you think it is needed/ experience

03/09/13- arrive 05:00in the morning in New York. Put luggage in hotel and walk around 04/09/13 New York

05/09/13 New York

06/09/13 New York

07/09/13 New York

08/0913 pick up car .drive through the Hudson River toward Ithaca. pitstop -motel in Ithaca

09/09/13 Walk around Ithica maybe Cornell University campus, then drive 0.5 hour to finger lakes Watkins glen NP (is the NP accessible ???). Drive 2.5 hours to Akron Falls and stay in a motel in Tonawanda ( where else is there to stay ?)

10/09/13 travel directly to Niagara Falls - Maid of the mist ( how long does it take? ) lodging in niagra on the lake

11/09/13 drive about 5 hours to Thousand Islands straight to the hotel Accommodation in Thousand Islands / kingston

12/09/13 Thousand Islands - St. Lawrence Islands, and Charleston Lake Park. ( how do you tour the islands ? by car or cruise ? ) Traveling to Montreal about three hours along the River Charleston straight to the motel in Montreal

13/09/13 Montreal

14.09.13 drive from Montreal to Lake champlain it takes about two hours - from there drive to Adirondacks Route 30 which includes Long Lake, and Lake Eaton.

Lake Champlain, Lake Placid - Adirondak mountains, Blue mountains, Hwy 28 "" Lodging in Long Lake ( what is the nicest route to do by car ??)

15/09/13 drive about three hours and a half to Montpelier - Maple: MORSE FARM check into the hotel, rest and shopping. Stay at Montpellier ( Is morse farm a nice experience ?)

16.09.13 drive through Sugar Hill road towards Franconia Notch State Park ( is the national park wheelchair and car accessible ??)

at 14:00 travel on route 112 - Kancamagus scenic highway and arrive to Conway check in ( where else is a nice place to stay ??)

17/09/13 drive in the morning to go through the White mountains Mt. Washington Auto Rd. ( what is the nicest road ? is the Auto drive safe ??) Accommodation in Bethel/ Augusta/Bar Harbor

18/09/13 drive to Bar Harbor via Bangor Accommodation in Bar Harbor

19/09/13 trip to Acadia National park.Is it worth staying in Elsworth or Bar harbor

20/09/13 drive to Camden Rock land and then to Wells Maine ( are they nice towns to stop or are there nicer ??. drive to Boston hotel .Accommodation in Boston

21/09/13 Boston

22/09/13 "Boston

23/09/13 traveling from Boston to JFK stops at . Clinton outlet ( where else is there to stop on the way ? flight home at 23:00

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 63
1. Re: 20 day trip in sept . in NY

A bunch of random thoughts on the itinerary.

Regarding the Ithaca portion, you will also want to visit The Commons, a downtown pedestrian mall/plaza. In Ithaca you will be able to get good views of both Buttermilk Falls (right off the parking area) and Taughannock Falls from the overlook. My apologies, I don't know about the accessibility of Watkins Glen (my gut tells me not good), and I don't think you'd be able to get a good view of the Falls at Robert Treman state park (BTW, all 4 are state parks). However, the actual trail out to Taughannock is fairly flat, you may be able to get to the bottom viewing area. If you don't get a definitive answer from someone else, I have plans to do a visit in the next 4-6 weeks anyway, I'll do that walk with this in the back of my mind and report. Ithaca and the Finger Lakes are a destination unto themselves, you would have little problem finding more to do if you decided to give it a bit more time.

You are aware that Niagara on the Lake is in Canada, and will involve border crossings? This will probably add some time to that portion of the journey should you decide to exit/re-enter the US. Since you plan on also going to Montreal, you may be better off crossing, then taking the longer (and more traffic - Toronto) drive through Canada. This will involve skipping out on the US side of the 10K islands, though. You should be OK with the rental car, just make sure you explicitly state to whomever you book with that you will be taking the car into Canada. Tonawanda is basically a neighbor of Niagara Falls, as an aside, and not really worth stopping 'for the night"

Instead of traveling the Hudson Valley to Ithaca, consider instead taking NY17/I86 (it's not officially I86 in all areas yet, it's a multi-dacade process). Better views, no tolls.

As for toll roads, pretty much the entirety of I90 is a toll road, both in NY and Mass, I95 is a toll road in New Hampshire and Maine, and I87 south of Albany is a toll. There are also tolls on I93 in the Manchester/Concord area of New Hampshire. If you decide to cross into Canada at Niagara Falls and continue to Montreal, there is a toll road that *you will not be able to take*, I think it's the 409(?). This is an electronic toll road only, there are no toll gates, and if you wind up on it by mistake it will run you at least and extra $50 (I've heard higher) a couple of months later when your rental car company gets the fine.

Just some thoughts.

You may want to look for the Road Trips section of the TA forum and repost this there - that's for more general, multi-regional info.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 14
2. Re: 20 day trip in sept . in NY

The OP has also posted on the Road Trips forum, but few people there have specific knowledge about each region.

I would suggest posting more concise questions on regional forums. For instance, your questions about Thousand Islands, about Franconia Notch accessibility, whether Morse Farm in Montpelier is nice, where to stay near Acadia National Park, etc.

In general, road trips are best when you occasionally spend multiple nights in one place, maybe seeing a few things in the area. Always staying just one night and then moving on to the next destination can be exhausting, and it can interfere with your ability to get into the vibe of any particular place.

3. Re: 20 day trip in sept . in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 07, 2014