We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice required: travelling from UK!

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 11
Advice required: travelling from UK!

Hi,

I require to travel to Cornell University in order to conduct research in relation to my PhD. I am traveling from the UK. I will be in the states for around 2-3 weeks and also have to go to Washington D.C to research at the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian.

So, my question is, how to I get from Cornell from D.C? Would the best option be to fly to NY first and make my way out to Cornell, then travel down to D.C?

Also, I will be in Cornell for approx. 3-4 nights. Does anyone know of any cheap accommodation (I'm an impoverished student!)

Thanks in advance.

reviews: 2
1. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

trails.com/all-hotels/…

Train Bus or Plane will get you to DC from Cornell. Fly out of Ithica

…priceline.com/insideTrack/flights/Ithaca-IT…

Ithaca, New York
2. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

Ithaca calls itself "centrally isolated." It's a lot like Scotland. Nothing is easy from or to Ithaca. Depending on where you're flying from, you may want to go through Toronto. You can then fly to Syracuse and rent a car to Ithaca but renting in Toronto and driving to Ithaca will take about the same amount of time--maybe 8 hours. With a car, you can drive to DC--6-8 hours more. I don't recall any direct flights from Ithaca to DC, but I suspect there many be some from Syracuse to DC. What I'm trying to do with all this thinking is create a round trip, so that your airfare stays the cheapest. Flying then from DC back home. The reason I suggest going through Toronto is that you will have a nicer and cheaper flight on Air Canada than going through NYC on USAir.

There are buses between Ithaca and NYC. There is also a train--Amtrac--that goes between Syracuse and NYC and then down to DC.

There are people in Ithaca who put students up for free. I don't want to post the contact I have on TripAdvisor, but if you send me an email at publisher@ilovethefingerlakes.com, I will check with her to see if it's ok to send you her email address. If you do email me, make sure you send verifiable credentials.

Your post needs to be more specific as to date and, just to point this out, many Americans distringuish between England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Referencing the UK to us is like saying you're coming from Europe. It's a bit too general.

Hope that helps.

Ronda Roaring

ILovetheFingerLakes.com

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 61
3. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

Can you fly into and out of DC? If so, and you have the option, choose National (Reagan) over Dulles, it's a bit closer to downtown, easier to get to with public transportation. Rail/Bus between NYC and DC is pretty good, though. Getting to Ithaca from NYC would be bus or rideshare (see below).

Greyhound is, I believe, your only bus (coach) option for Ithaca to DC, though if you want to travel to NYC first you could bus there, then connect or take Amtrak. Greyhound looks to be about an 11h trip each way.

I'm assuming a car is not an option? The drive between the two is simple, as long as there's no snow.

Another option, try this at your own risk, is to check the craigslist rideshare boards, there's a decent amount of travel between the two places.

New York
reviews: 42
4. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

http://transportation.fs.cornell.edu/coach/

Campus-to-campus bus is another option from NYC to Cornell and back. I've not personally used it but my other half has numerous times. Coach seating and WiFi on board - he said it was nice and easy to use.

2 NYC and 3 Ithaca stops available. Check it out.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 64
5. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

To give you an idea of price comparisons...

Flights from Ithaca to DC are typically around $475 round trip - you have to change planes once.

USAirways has a direct flight out of Syracuse for around $300 round trip.

Toronto has a direct flight for $240 but in my opinion, the cost and time involved with getting to Toronto from Ithaca wouldn't make it worth the savings (unles syou want to also visit Toronto, of course!).

There is also a direct flight out of Rochester on AirTran that costs around $240.

(I just picked some random dates for comparison purposes - obviously the dates you need may change the prices)

Hope this helps!

6. Re: Advice required: travelling from UK!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 02, 2014