We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ithaca to Boston drive

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 32
Ithaca to Boston drive

We are planning to see the waterfalls in the Ithaca area (and the Corning glass museum) on the long weekend next May. On the way to Ithaca (Google says it's about 6 hours drive) we would just split the drive leaving Boston ~4pm and staying for the night in Cobleskill (it would leave a 2-hour drive for the next morning). So we would have 3 days and drive back on the fourth- that is the problem (our kids are with us). Is there anything between Ithaca/Corning and Albany, or anywhere on the Rt 86-88 to split the way back, like parks, gardens, museums, so we could drive half way, stay there for an hour or a few hours and continue driving to Boston? Thanks!

Lodi, New York
reviews: 14
1. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

The Baseball Hall of Fame and Howe Caverns are a couple of options.

Irondequoit, New...
reviews: 61
2. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

I haven't been here in person, I don't have kids, it's a bit less than halfway (or more, depending on direction of travel), and I don't know how old your kids are, but there is a Dr. Seuss Sculpture Garden in Springfield, Mass that may be worth a detour.

Howe Caverns, as mentioned, may be the best bet.

Ithaca, NY
reviews: 22
3. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

You mention the long weekend next May. If it's Memorial Day, you need to remember that that is Cornell University graduation! Ithaca is hopping!

If you are planning to stay in the Ithaca area, you may have a difficult time securing a reservation since many are already booked now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but better to know now.

Boston...
4. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

Thank you! I would never have thought about the graduation myself. Yes, Best Western sold out... Will we have any other problems? The parks are probably crowded over the long weekend anyway? We are driving, so could just do it some other time.

Boston...
5. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

Also, will it be possible to see Cornell considering the graduation events?

Ithaca, NY
reviews: 22
6. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

The best suggestion at this point is to go to www.visitithaca.com/lodging You can scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your date of arrival and the number of nights you would like to stay in Ithaca.

There are roughly 40,000 people in town for the graduation so the campus is really hopping!

Ithaca, New York
reviews: 47
7. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

Memorial Day weekend in Ithaca- you won't be able to get a hotel at a reasonable (tourist) rate, and it will be impossible to eat dinner. It's just nuts here.

I wouldn't consider this our best weekend for regular tourists to come and see the beauty of the area. Parks, wineries, Farmer's Market- anything that students can dream up to do with their famiies will be jammed.

Check Watkins Glen, Elmira, Corning for hotels.

Also avoid: 2nd weekend in June (Cornell Reunions).

If you like festivals, try 1st weekend in June, the Ithaca Festival is going on, and that is great- you can still do lots of parks/hikes/ CMOG and hit the festival for a few hours for something very unique to our area.

If you want swimming, try to wait for late June/early July. The water starts to warm up around then in the lakes.

Please come visit, but for your sanity, skip Memorial Day Weekend!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 142
8. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

Consider Auburn for lodging as well (37 miles north). There is a new Hilton Garden Inn downtown. Skaneateles (6 miles east) is another (more pricey) option. Both towns have decent dining options as well. The Aurora Inn (30 miles from Ithaca on the east side of Cayuga Lake) is still another possibility. There is an excellent restaurant on site.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 142
9. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

After reading my last post I realized that I forgot top mention that Skaneateles is 6 miles east of Auburn (about 45 miles from Ithaca).

Boston...
10. Re: Ithaca to Boston drive

Thank you - looks like we are going to come some other weekend. I'm so glad I asked here. Our main goal is the waterfalls, kind of a nature/waterfall tour, that's why I thought end of spring would be best. Will try either the weekend before or after the Memorial Day. Thanks!!