We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall visit

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Fall visit

I am planning a visit in October. I have narrowed down some of the areas I would like to see while there for 4 or 5 days. I am wondering how far apart in drive time the areas are. I was considering Watkins Glen, Corning, Ithaca, Pen Yan, Union Springs, Seneca Falls, and Canandaigua. Do you think it is best to find a central hotel/b&b or stay at one place for the first few days at the southern end of the lakes, then another place headed back north? I will be coming from the Cleveland area, taking 90. Thanks in advance!

New York
reviews: 2
1. Re: Fall visit

Hi there! I would recommend staying in either Ithaca or Watkins Glen. You can then make day trips to the other areas. If you take the locations that are the farthest from one another...ie Ithaca to Canandaigua....distance between these two is about 1.5 hours. Everything else is less. Ie....Watkins to Ithaca is 30 minutes, Ithaca to Seneca Falls is about 45 minutes. Ithaca to Corning is 40 minutes, etc.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 143
2. Re: Fall visit

Alot depends on whether or not you want to stay in a larger area (city) or a smaller area (village).

I would stay in Ithaca abd Canandaigua if you want good north and south bases. Both of these small cities have the largest variety of attractions and good lodging/restaurant options compared to the other viilages listed. The small city of Corning has a variety of attractions and good lodging/restaurant options as well, but is a bit out of the way to have as a base.

I'm curious as to why Union Springs is among the towns you list. It is a small, non-touristy village with no lodging that I am aware of and meager dining options. If you want a base in this area, the city of Auburn or the villages of Seneca Falls/Waterloo are better choices.

3. Re: Fall visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, January 10, 2010