We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandy beaches on finger lakes

Which Ithaca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach...
reviews: 11
sandy beaches on finger lakes

Hi, I have been looking at rental cottages and camps on the finger lakes. Most seem to say the swimming areas are shale(not sure of the spelling) I've also read the need for water shoes. Are there some areas like this or are all of the finger lakes the same? I would like to find a sandy beach suitable for swimming. We are traveling next summer for a wedding on Canandaigua Lake. All camp rentals I have found on this lake are out of our price range,so have been looking at other lakes. Any advice would be great.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
reviews: 110
1. Re: sandy beaches on finger lakes

There are not a lot of sandy beaches but that doesn't mean that swimming isn't great. It is! You can certainly do without the water shoes but they do make it more comfortable as the bottom of most of the lakes by the shore is a little rocky. We swim in Cayuga Lake. We have always found the water in the lake to be clean and very refreshing. If you're around the Ithaca area there are also a number of other places to swim in the gorges.

Daytona Beach...
reviews: 11
2. Re: sandy beaches on finger lakes

thank you so much, this helps

Ithaca
reviews: 1
3. Re: sandy beaches on finger lakes

Cayuga Lake swimming is great, very clean water and nice temperatures. BUT I would definitely recommend water shoes as all of the lakes have zebra mussels once you get about 7 yards offshore. These are very small shellfish that are harmless except for the fact that they are sharp due to the fact that they are so small. They will cut feet if not protected.

Some resorts and maybe even campgrounds might have sandy beaches, but I'm not sure about individual rentals--probably not since it is expensive to maintain and does not naturally occur.

4. Re: sandy beaches on finger lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, September 10, 2009