We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

Which Kariba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uithoorn, The...
reviews: 19
How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

I am travelling in December from Kariba to the Falls via Gweru. How long would the trip be to Gweru and what is the best route to take? Where could we stop over for fuel from Kariba to Vic Falls?

4 replies to this topic
Victoria Falls...
1. Re: How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

The distance Kariba to Victoria falls along the main road (A1, A5, A6) is approx 1265kms, that's about a 15 hour journey on the Zim roads. The only shortcut you can take is between Chinoyi through to Chegutu, this cuts out going via Harare which will save you an enormous amount of time because of the traffic close to Harare plus it cuts off about 120kms in distance. I have not done this shortcut, but I am pretty sure it is tar and will be in quite good condition as are most of these B roads in Zimbabwe.

Once in Chegutu turn right and travel through Gweru and Bulawyo on the A5 and Bulawayo to Vic Falls on the A6 all good tar roads, but not dual carriage way.

As these are all tar roads the rain won't affect you that much except to slow you down a little for safety, you can get fuel in all the major centres, it's not a problem. Just make sure you have all your vehicle papers with you to avoid hassles at the police road blocks, and stick to the speed limit, especially through the towns and just outside the towns, this is a big business for them.

Don't travel on the roads at night, too many animals and bad drivers of big trucks and buses.

Have fun

Tony

Edited: 9:49 am, November 26, 2012
Harare, Zimbabwe
reviews: 2
2. Re: How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

If you have a 4x4, you can cut through from Kwe Kwe through Nkayi to Lupane. This will also cut off 2 Hours on your trip. Bear in mind there is 180km of dirt on this route, hence the need for a 4x4, but you can still do 80-100kph. I did this route in August. See the following travel time, and make up your route from there, Kariba to HRE = 5-6hrs. HRE-KweKwe = 2.5hrs. kwekwe-Gweru = 45mins. Kwekwe-Lupane = 3hrs. Gweru-Byo = 2hrs. Byo - Lupane = 3hrs. Lupane -VF = 2.5hrs. Enjoy the Adventure

Uithoorn, The...
3. Re: How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

Thanks guys for your comments!

Uithoorn, The...
4. Re: How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?

Hi guys,

Thought I would just post a message for anyone who reads this post.

We drove from Kariba to Bolawayo in 8 hrs, via Gweru. Road are much better than a few years ago but the police road blocks, toll roads andvbusy traffic take time.

All in all a great trip!

Reply to: How long from Kariba to Gweru during wet season?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kariba