We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Which La Digue Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Samos, Greece
reviews: 55
Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

There are many ways to save money in LaDigue! First check out the budget accom. on the official site

seychelles.travel/en/…

Having just spent a month there, a self catering accom close or in LaPasse is the best bet. If traveling with children forget renting bicycles, as for the same money you can have a taxi take you to almost anywhere on the island and return to take you back.

Ask for Mr. Alpha taxi He is super and if you tell him you will use only him you get better rates. There are a lot of accom that are listed as inland near LaPasse, these are usually a few minutes from beach & shops and a great value. Forget shopping at Gregiores and shop at B&M market, they have fresh fruit, veg & nearly all that you could ask for. The locals shop there! As for eating out the only place that was really good was the pizza place located near Gregories market, air/con good prices and great food.

Tarosa is OK also. For the most part self catering is the best, it is economical and in the evenings theres not much to do anyway.

The restaurant in Union Estate was pretty good, and should be

part of any trip to the estate, leave early see all of Source d Argent & estate have lunch and leave late. My favorite beach was a small beach just before the beach of LaOrangerie, good shade swimming even with low tide. Great snorkeling along the stone walls of LaOrangerie also. A taxi to Grand Anse and return is about 16$ & well worth it. Leave early, explore Grand Anse, Petite Anse, have lunch at restaurant leave about 5pm. Anse Coco & Petite involve a walk thru the forest, rocky, and not for people with problems walking in rough terrain. Waling shoes a must, no flip flops! At these 3 beaches swimming is not for everyone due to strong currents and BIG waves, no snorkeling and shade is way back from the beach. The trip to Ile d Coco is amazing & well woth the $, Snorkeling there is magical even in 1 ft. of water. Half day trip is enough. Best beaches in LaDigue are Union estate, LaPasse, and Anse Severe. The Ferry from Mahe is about 100$

I took La Belle Serafina for 16$ and really enjoyed it if you get seasick or don't like to rough it take the ferry. Try the fried banans, cheddar cheese and bitter lemon soda and Sey Beer available at all shops. The kiosks just north of the port in LaPasse have nice souveneirs and another shop on the back road near Chateau St. Cloud also. A walk on this back road is beautiful, you see much more than on a bicycle. If I can help in anyway please ask! Happy traveling!

London
reviews: 4
1. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Thanks for posting this. I was looking at staying at Praslin but La Digue sounds like it might be a better bet...especially in terms of snorkelling too!

Could I ask where you ended up staying? Also, how much did buying food work out as for you?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
reviews: 63
2. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

For accomodation I do not recommend Chateau St Cloud. The same quality of the rooms you can find at Etoile Labrine, La Diguoise or Anse Severe (100-110 euro vs 170 CSC). The cheapest lunch at a restaurant you can find at Lanbousir near Anse Source d'Argent - all the dishes (chicken creole curry, chili grilled fish, fish creole coco) have a maximum price of 180 Rs. Other fair restaurants are Tarosa, Chez Marston and Loutier Coco. You can choose also the dishes of Zerof Takeaway which are starting from 50 Rs (Rice with curry chicken for example).

Dinners are more expensive and they can go up to 20-25 euro/pers including beer and cola.

If you want to cook you have street sellers of tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, eggplants, mango, avocado and many more for prices between 20 Rs and 35 Rs per kilo.

Anse Severe is great for snorkeling. It is not crowded and you will greet plenty of blue surgeons, parrots, Picasso Trigger fish and hawksbill turtles.

Miki

London
3. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Miki - again thank you! Just replied to your other post too! :D

That's great info as well and I'll check out the exchange rate to see what those are in GBP.

Absolutely awesome that you said that Anse Severe is great for snorkelling! Maybe a guesthouse near there would be better positioned?

Are buses better here than in Praslin? Or maybe again, biking might be better?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
4. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Hello again Pridash!

The exchange rate at Barclays Seychelles is around 19.4-19.5 Rs for 1 GBP.

Anse Severe Villa is just over the road that connects the villa with the beach.

There are no buses on La Digue, biking is here the most used mean of transport.

Miki

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
5. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Sunisles thank you very much for the trip report! It gives added value to this forum!

Miki

London
6. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

I'll have a look at that villa you recommended - do they have a direct website?

Also, how is the transfer from Mahe to La Digue? I know there is a plane from Mahe to Praslin, but how is this all arranged given we have to go by boat to LaDigue maybe?

Oh and also, when is the best time of year to travel for calm seas and snorkelling and dry weather? I was under the impression May was fine, but I've just read in a magazine that july was the best time for weather and cheapest for air fare!

Sorry for all the questions! :D

Edited: 1:34 pm, February 15, 2013
Samos, Greece
reviews: 55
7. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Will be adding to this as I remember! The best exchange rate is at the

wooden balcony where yhe CatCoCo office is Cash Plus gives as much as 5-7 rupees per $ or euro than the banks. Thet have exchange offices in Mahe and Praslin also usually in the most convienent places, like a few doors down from Pirate Arms. I can't express how much better the accom is in LaPasse as far as convenience and accesability. The place I stayed is fully booked for the next months, but there are many more small self catering in the area.Anse severe

is a 3min. walk and again avoid the bicycles as you don't really need them. The last thing I would want to do after a day of snorkeling and getting sun is have to bicycle back to my accom. A taxi Mr. Alpha is more economical both $$ wise and in terms of body wear. IF the bicycles are a must for you ask about bikes from Blaze as his bikes are all new & imported from the US. Blaze also has a super boat & will take you anywhere even to Praslin. A very friendly & informative guy! The bikes are in bad repair and uncomfortable elsewhere.

Groceries are for the most part cheap, 4-5 BIG red snapper can be had from the fishermen near the hospital on the beach for 100 ruppes about7-8$. Tomatoes, green beans, cukes, potatoes are all about 25 r.for a package fresh, don't be put off by the small size or greeness of the tomatoes, in a day or so they are red & very tasty!

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
8. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Sunisles how can you get 5-7 rupees more than the banks offer for 1 euro when I have got from Barclays 16.4 rupees when the official rate was 16.7? Nobody can offer you a rate higher than the official one.

Thanks!

Miki

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
9. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Hello Pridash!

You can write to Anse Severe Beach Villa using the following e-mail address: ansesevere@seychelles.sc

Catcocos ferry to La Digue is 125 euro for a return ticket/person and you have to book it one month in advance. Either you go directly or you change the ferry at Baie St Anne Jetty in Praslin and in this case you make 2 reservations: one with Catcocos and one with Inter Island Ferry.

The best time for snorkeling are during the months of October, November and April when the wind direction is changing and visibility is great. July even if it is a dry month is not good at all for snorkeling since the sea is blurry and rough.

For flight tickets check Etihad, Emirates and Qatar.

Miki

London
10. Re: Trip report Budget Holiday LaDigue

Thank you Sunisles and Miki!

For accommodation, so far I have: -

Anse Severe Beach Villa

Paodise Guesthouse

Pension Michel

Etoile Labrine

I'll have to check for availability and costs now. Any preference out of all these places?

At the moment Expedia have a decent offer for Paodise but of course I will have to cook meals...including breakfast I think! Etoile Labrine seem to have good reviews and really good comments about their food as well!

I'm a little confused with the link I found (www.seychelles-last-minute.com/pt_68.html) - the Cat Cos Ferry seems to only run once per day to LaDigue which means we have to stay overnight at Praslin! Otherwise, am I right in saying that the WILLIAM ROSE FERRY is the other option to get there? They seem to run more frequently. If so, what would be the cost?

Is it a hassle to get a taxi from Praslin airport to the Jetty and then catch the ferry to LaDigue?