We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

New York City, New...
Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Hi,

So I'm considering going to Fire Island but never having been there I have no idea what its like demographically or geographically.

My group of friends are 21-22 and we would like to go to Fire Island which island? county? town? should I be looking into? I'm not necessarily looking for a party area, I'm looking to relax with my gf but most of my friends are single and would be most displeased if I didn't pick a spot with some sort of activity for them.

So I'm open to advise I do know that Fire Island doesn't allow cars but thats about it. Are all the beaches open and swimmer friendly? what do people do there besides swim and drink?

Also key point my group of friends can only be described as poor college students so somewhere wallet friendly would be a huge bonus!

NYC / Fire Island...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Hola.

Fire Island is located about 4 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean off the south shore of Long Island; it runs east-west for approximately 35 miles parallel to Long Island and together they form the Great South Bay. Fire Island is comprised of about 20 communities, each having its own personality. The entire Island is within the National Seashore System and there are sand dunes, forests, deer, rabbits, foxes, raccoons, bird sanctuaries, and 100s of thousands monarch butterflies that migrate between Mexico and Canada. The Atlantic coast beaches are the most pristine on the east coast of the USA. And, yes, most private cars are not allowed on the Island and consequently folks walk or take water taxis.

By the description of your group of friends, it sounds to us like you may enjoy either Ocean Beach or the Fire Island Pines….both communities have restaurants, great beaches and night life, though the Pines has a more diverse culture and night life may cost more money for rentals.

The Long Island Rail Road provides transportation to various ferry stations that services Fire Island.

For more information see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Island

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Edited: 11:41 pm, March 24, 2011
new york city
reviews: 3
2. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

driving from manhattan at the crack of dawn..on a wed or thursday...

simply want and nice restaurant to eat at with cocktails and a day at the beach and get home by 7/8pm.. we only have a day.. pls walk us through a day at fire island

the fun stuff

and the great restaurant.

NYC / Fire Island...
3. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Hola.

Day trippers to Fire Island that we know generally head to Sailors Haven, Cherry Grove and/or The Pines (ferries from Sayville) where there are facilities, snack bars, groceries, restaurants, bars, clubs and/or discos. All three are within 20-45 minutes walking distance from each other; or you can take a water taxi in much less time.

Sailors Haven only has facilities, a snack bar and a nature museum (run by the Park Service) but also has a life guard. The Sunken Forest is also at Sailors Haven.

Cherry Grove and The Pines have facilities bathrooms, showers, swimming pools, etc. at the local hotels but some may charge to use them. As well there are some good restaurants and groceries at the Pines and Cherry Grove, but no life guards. The Pavilion and Sip ’N Twirl (both at The Pines) and the Ice Palace and Cherry’s Bar & Grill (both at Cherry Grove) are community favorites for drinks, dancing and/or stand-up comedy.

Please know that the beach at Sailors Haven is a “clothed” beach while The Pines and Cherry Grove beaches are more “clothing optional”, though this is generally truer of the Grove than The Pines.

The LIRR provides special (discounted) rates for day trippers that provide a round trip package for the train, transfers from the train to the ferry and the ferry rides:

http://www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/Beach2011/

Abrazos,

Matt

new york city
reviews: 3
4. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

so if we have a car what do we do with it .. can it go on the ferry and then park it somewhere when get off the ferry//// confused

NYC / Fire Island...
5. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Hola.

There are (pay) parking lots across the street and adjacent to the ferry terminals. Park your car(s), purchase a round trip ferry ticket and enjoy your day on Fire Island.

Abrazos,

Matt

Edited: 11:21 pm, July 11, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
reviews: 2
6. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Cherry Grove and the Pines are primarily gay communities. For a day trip, Robert Moses State Park may be a better idea and you can drive there.

nps.gov/fiis/…robert-moses-state-park.htm

Pomfret, Connecticut
7. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Hi,

We have a rental in Davis Park and we are coming from eastern Connecticut. Concerned about parking at Davis Park Terminal, traffic to get there, what we can and cannot take on the ferry. Excited to be on Fire Island for our family vacation. but concern about not planning well enough for the trip there.

Thank for any help

NYC / Fire Island...
8. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

Parking in lot at the Davis Park Ferry Terminal on L.I. is $20 per day. There is another lot about a block away that is $10 per day.

We are not clear about your question with regard to "what can and cannot be transported on the Ferry". In general, clothes, groceries, beach chairs/umbrellas are fine, but for more information, call the Ferry company at: 631-475-1665.

As you live in eastern CT we suppose that you are acquainted with the traffic conditions along the southern coast of CT and with the ferry services that connect CT with LI. That said, if you are traveling during weekday rush hours or on sunny weekends, expect to encounter traffic.

CH

Edited: 12:53 pm, July 06, 2013
9. Re: Confused about Fire Island some advice from the Pros PLZ!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 08, 2014