We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayville Beach

Which Chautauqua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Mayville Beach

We were thinking of stopping at Chautauqua Lake on our way from Buffalo to Erie Pa. Is the beach a nice place to stop for a picni and a swim? Are there restrooms there?

Any other suggestions of a nice beach to stop at between Buffalo and Erie would be appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
reviews: 115
1. Re: Mayville Beach

Susan: You know about Presque Island Park? Great bike riding, hiking and good beach. It is a spit of land that juts out into Lake Erie.

…state.pa.us/stateparks/…presqueisle.aspx

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Mayville Beach

Yes thanks that is where we are heading .I just wanted to break up the car ride and stop somewhere on our way.

New York City, New...
reviews: 115
3. Re: Mayville Beach

Susan: Oops! Sorry. I don't know anyplace on the way. Have a wonderful time.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 60
4. Re: Mayville Beach

Yes there are restrooms and I believe a shower and changing room. The lake has plenty of seaweed, but I think they try to keep the area clean of it. Last I knew there was no entrance fee to enter the park. A playground and picnic area also, in case you wanted to have lunch.

There are also a few public beaches along Lake Erie, the one I know of first hand are Ripley Beach, in NY and North East Beach just over the border into PA.

I hope this information helps.

Buffalo, New York
reviews: 14
5. Re: Mayville Beach

I'm not sure when you were planning to go.... it may be too late....but the Mayville beach is generally pretty good. This year the water level has been quite low though this year as it's been very hot so the water is not deeper than 3-4 feet right now although typically its 2-3 feet deeper. It has a lifeguard on duty and land to run around. It has areas to picnic as well as restrooms. You should know that last I checked there weren't any showers though as most people who use the beach are people who have or rent houses in the area or are vacationing and staying in the hotels nearby. There is no fee for the Mayville beach.

If you do go there I would recommend checking out Webb's or Dick's harbor house for lunch/ dinner/ shopping as its just across the street. There is also the chautauqua Belle a steamboat that tours the lake/community. Additionally for more cultural experiences there is the chautauqua institute about 2-3 miles down the road from the Mayville beach. They also have a beach and activities that go on daily. There is an entrance fee for the Institute.

If you are looking for other beaches near buffalo...there is Beaver Island and the buffalo municipal bathing beach off route 5 in buffalo. Also i've heard there is a beach in Dunkirk but i've never been there. Hope that helps!

Reply to: Mayville Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted