We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

Which Canandaigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
reviews: 1
Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

Our family (with members from ages 6 to 90) will be staying at a house on Canandaigua Lake the week of August 14. We would like a recommendation for a restaurant to celebrate a special birthday. There will be about 20 of us. Also, we would welcome any activity suggestions--special events that week, etc. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
reviews: 12
1. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

I would highly recommend the restaurant at the NY Wine & Culinary Center.

http://nywcc.com/restaurant-bar

Finger Lakes, NY
reviews: 72
2. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

I love the NYWCC, too and they should be able to accommodate a group of your size, particularly in the private dining room. However, if there are lots of kids they may feel a bit out of place there as it is a little formal (though kids are welcomed). Options do get a little limited with a 20 person group. You may also consider eating outside at the NYWCC or at the Inn on the Lake or Steamboat Landing.

August 14 is my son's birthday as well, so maybe we will see you out there!

Virginia
reviews: 1
3. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

Thanks for your suggestions. NYWCC has a pretty steep rate for the use of their private room (it seemed that they required this for a group of 20), so I think we will go with Inn on the Lake. It's also a good space in case the kids need to get outside for a minute between courses! What do you suggest for activities--kids and/or adults?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
reviews: 126
4. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

Sonnenburg Gardens is worthwhile; but probably only to adults.

Finger Lakes, NY
reviews: 72
5. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

Oh no - my 5 and 9 year old kids LOVE Sonnenberg Gardens. It's like running around in your own castle with all the hidden tunnels in the rock garden, the awesome streams in the Japanese garden and don't forget in the sub-rosa garden if you whisper on one side of the large bench, you can hear it all the way across the garden at the other side! wonderful trees to climb and hide under, too as well as bananas growing in the green houses and koi fish you can often pet in the large pond as you arrive. Sonnenberg is a must for adults and can be very romantic and a great historic home, too. Also for more modern fun, try the waterpark or swimming in the lake at Kershaw or Onanda parks (hike there, too). Rent Kayaks from the place right near Kershaw park, get an ice cream or gelato from the Muar House and just walk along the beach and swing in one of the swings. Also, wine tours abound in the area (NYWCC can help with that) and at the NYWCC the kiddos can get cheese and juice tastings while the adults try a flight of wine. They also have awesome classes there. Shopping on America's widest Main Street is fun, check out The Renaissance, Country Ewe, Wickedly Sent, Sweet Expressions Candy shop. Enjoy the best town in America.

Fairfield...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

DId you look at the restaurant at Bristol Harbor? The views of the Lake are exquisite!

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 37
7. Re: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions

You can also have a picnic right at Kershaw park at one of the pavilions, I see families take up one for birthdays and family affairs.

reservations needed-http://canandaigua.govoffice.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={C8914E2E-B169-445A-83C3-15DF86FFF888}&DE={2658EB3A-7E87-4B37-B806-32FFD04BB35B}

You can order food at Wegman's ahead of time or shop and have a picnic of your choice!

Other restaurants that serve large groups besides Inn on the lake is Schooners at the corner of east lake road (364) and Lakeshore drive.

Edited: 9:39 pm, August 08, 2011
Reply to: Canandaigua restaurant and activity suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted