We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Which Canandaigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
reviews: 9
Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

i have never been to either, and want to know which has more to offer/better visit overall? my husband and I are 35 and our celebrating our 5 yr anniversary. we want to stay in a b&b and do wine tastings. looking for fun and good food. beautiful scenery. any suggestions?????? thx!

11 replies to this topic
Warrington, PA
reviews: 27
1. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Seneca Lake would be best for wine tastings and winery tours. A couple of nice B&Bs on the eastern side of Seneca are Fox & Grapes and Seneca Springs Resort.

Finger Lakes, NY
reviews: 74
2. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Seneca has a greater number of wineries, but Canadaigua is a much cuter town with more going on than Geneva. I'd also say that Canandaigua lake or Keuka lake are prettier than Seneca. When are you coming? I'd rather swim/ boat in Canandaigua or Keuka, too as they are smaller, warmer and don't have currents. But as far as wineries go, Seneca takes the cake.

You can do both, Geneva and Canandaigua are about 25 minutes apart. Try staying in Canandaigua, visit Sonnenberg, eat lunch at Rheinblick , shopping along Main St. and visit/ eat at the NY Wine and Culinary Center (where you can take some cool classes, too - www.NYWCC.com) tour Arbor Hill in Bristol and travel down (great views) to the cute town of Naples on the south end of the lake, visit the Artizanns store, very cool store in Naples. tour some wineries in Hammondsport, Keuka Lake or from Watkins Glen up to Geneva on Seneca lake. Some of my fav wineries on that side are: Dr. Franks, Ravines, Herrmann Wiemer, Miles, Fox Run and Shaw. Enjoy!

Warrington, PA
reviews: 27
3. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Keuka Lake IS prettier, and I feel, more friendly and intimate as well.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Also consider staying at Bristol Harbour Resort.

Beautiful lodge with a pool and of course the lake.

And if you are into golf that is also an option.

And the views from the cliffside condos are to die for.

Mike

Ithaca, New York
reviews: 47
5. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

All the lakes have their own personality and you will be driving to visit any of them, so maybe picked based on your B&B choice. Keuka Lake is the prettiest, and as one of thes smaller ones, very easy to drive around. You can circle Keuka and hit most of the wineries in one day, which you certainly can't on Seneca or Cayuga.

For dining, check into Suzanne on Seneca Lake. We also like Stone Cat Cafe on Seneca. All of the wine trails (google Lake Name + Wine trail for each web site) have event on various weekends, which may be good or bad depending on the popularity of the event, so be sure to compare your visit dates with the event weekends.

The town of Sheldrake on Cayuga Lake also has 2 b&Bs which are right on the lake, which is nice. they are close to Sheldrake Point vineyard, which has a restaurant called Simply Red (retaurant closed in the winter)

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 71
6. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Stay in Canandaigua, go wine tasting on Seneca or Keuka. Canandaigua is a beautiful village, and plenty of places to stay.

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 12
7. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

My lists may help with your decision.

tripadvisor.com/members-golists/FLgourmand

Generally, I would say that if your focus in wine - then choose Seneca Lake hands down. It has the most wineries.

If, other the other hand, you want to check out some wineries but that is not the focus on your visit, then Canandaigua Lake. You can go the NY Wine and Culinary Center, go boating, and check out the shops in Canandaigua.

Rochester, NY
reviews: 10
8. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

I would recommend staying at the Inn on the Lake in Canandaigua. It's right on the Lake (thus the name) and you're looking right down the lake while sitting out on their patio. You can walk down along the pier, sit on a bench and watch the boats; walk down along Kershaw Park, again sit on the benches and enjoy the beauty of the lake. Canandaigua would be a great home base for traveling around to do the winery tours. As others have mentioned, Canandaigua is a very pretty community and is central to so much. Plenty of good restaurants to choose from -- and, again, a couple of great ones right by the hotel. (Doc's and McGregor's)

Enjoy your stay!

Finger Lakes, NY
reviews: 74
9. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

NYWCC restaurant property also borders the Inn on the Lake. Great place for dinner and a wine tasting.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 37
10. Re: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????

Depending on when you come , you might hit a couple of events which are loads of fun in Canandaigua such as their Waterfront Art festival http://www.waterfrontartfestival.com/

or Arts in the Gardens in Sonnenberg

http://www.artsatthegardens.org/aboutus.php

and every first Saturday of the month you can have wine tastings downtown Canandaigua. fingerlakeswinecountry.com/A-Riesling-To-Vis…

and also http://www.canandaiguawinetrail.com/

Reply to: Seneca or Canandaigua lake?????
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted