We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

Which Binghamton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 92
Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

Hi all,

I would like to find out driving from New York to Binghamton is a good choice in late Jan (about the third week of Jan).

I am kinda of worried about snow and road closure.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
reviews: 3
1. Re: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

You have 2 options. You could the GWB to 4 to 17 to the NY Thruway back to 17, or you could take the GWB to 80/95 to 80 to 380 to 81. In snow I would reccoemnd the 17 approch.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
2. Re: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

I think one could say there could very well be snow, just be prepared. Appropriate tires, winter clothes, shovel, good cell phone, blanket, snacks, water. People have differing preferences in case they get stuck...ice melt, kitty litter, newspaper. Know how to drive responsibly like not to stop suddenly in case of ice or hardening snow.

Edited: 8:15 am, November 28, 2011
Warwick, New York
reviews: 13
3. Re: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

I would suggest the 80 to 380 to 81 route. I've driven it in the winter, and unless there's a terrible snow storm there isn't anything to worry about. They keep those roads in good shape.

US
reviews: 69
4. Re: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

Caught in an unexpectedly bad snowstorm while on the road--been there, done that!

Explorer3 is right on target. Be prepared. All this feels like overkill...until you need it.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
reviews: 14
5. Re: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan

Definitely, Ways2go. While we're now further south, I learned to drive in the north and lived there for decades and still go north several times a year.

CalvinZheng, these are things people will keep in their car as soon as winter hits, just prepared, not a big deal. And many a time they will then utilize these things themselves or use them to help others. That's one thing we've noticed...the troubles unprepared people have in not being familiar with driving in bad weather and having accidents.

All the best.

Reply to: Driving from New York to Binghamton in Late Jan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Binghamton