We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

reviews: 5
Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

We hope to spend 3 nights in three camps and have optimal game viewing, especially hunting packs of wild dogs. Did we choose the best areas for our game sightings: linyati ebony, okuti, and xigera. Will vehicles be able to do off road tracking? Is our combination of camps wise or should we switch any of them?

8 replies to this topic
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
1. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

I hope you mean 3 nights in each location, not one night in each.

If you are interested in wild dogs, I'm not sure those are the 3 best areas. Okuti is in the public area of Moremi game reserve, and you might see wild dogs there but there will be no off road driving as it's in the national park. I thought Xigera was a mainly water based camp, so I can't see it being good for dogs. I'm not familiar with Linyanti Ebony but the Linyanti area is good for dogs.

In August I'd suggest going to areas where dogs have been known to den, as at that time the dogs will still be in their denning area. Kwando Lagoon has had a very good track record in the past, as has Selinda, and Kwara has had a pack denning the last couple of years.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
2. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

Off the top of my head, other areas known to be good for dogs are- the Chitabe concession, Vumbura, other Linyanti areas like the Linyanti East concession (Duma Tau, Savuti, Kings Pool camps), Khwai.

I've seen dogs in the national park areas too- Chobe, Savute and Moremi, but you won't be able to off road so following them hunting as you can in a private concession.

Kasane, Botswana
3. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

Chobe will be the perfect to spot dogs, Chobe Game Lodge, in Kasane will meet your needs.

Maun, Botswana
Destination Expert
for Botswana
reviews: 2
4. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

I must say I have never seen wild dogs on the Chobe National Park. You stand a good chance of seeing them when you stay at Linyanti. The most wild dogs I have ever seen was at Kwando Lagoon Camp - but it always depends on where they are nesting

Maun, Botswana
Destination Expert
for Botswana
reviews: 2
5. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

I must say I have never seen wild dogs on the Chobe National Park. You stand a good chance of seeing them when you stay at Linyanti. The most wild dogs I have ever seen was at Kwando Lagoon Camp - but it always depends on where they are nesting

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
6. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

My avatar photo was taken in Chobe.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
7. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

Lebala Camp is another Kwando Camp which is currently being recommended for a high possibility of seeing wild dogs. Sango and Machaba Camps both of which are found in the Kwai have also had good sightings last year.

Lincolnshire...
reviews: 218
8. Re: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango

We saw wild dogs in Chobe, in September, a couple of years ago; while staying at the Garden Lodge in Kasane.. I've heard that they're often seen at Savuti.

Reply to: Late August bush camp experience in Okavango
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted