We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to Taos - Memorial Day Weekend

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durango, Colorado
reviews: 4
1st Trip to Taos - Memorial Day Weekend

My husband and I decided to spend a long weekend in Taos for Memorial Day. We are moving out of the state later this year and are trying to experience some parts of the state we haven't seen. I know we plan to raft the Taos box on Satuday, see the Gorge and he wants to do some driving and hiking. Otherwise we'll probably just relax and try to find some good places to eat.

I need help with two things:

First, we are looking at two rental homes within walking distance of the plaza/downtown. Just trying to decide if that's a good place to locate ourselves for the weekend. Since we're unfamiliar with Taos, I don't know if that's what non-skiing travelers do or if the more remote locations are just as good of a bet for a weekend in Taos.

Second, any other suggestions for "must sees" for our one (and possibly only) trip to the area?

Thanks!!

Taos, NM
reviews: 36
1. Re: 1st Trip to Taos - Memorial Day Weekend

Since you will only be here for the weekend I would not worry about anything too much. Even if you rent homes in the Arroyo Seco or Blueberry Hill area you will only be a scenic 15 minute drive from the center of town. Parking is not a huge problem in Taos, even on Memorial day weekend. There will be free lots with available parking within a 3 minute walk to the Plaza.

Since we moved away from the center of town, to the outskirts, we are obviously biased. We like the total quiet and super clear starry nights coupled with 60 mile sunset vistas. Others like to be close to the center of things. Its all good.

Excellent restaurants are available throughout the area, so wherever you stay you will probably end up driving to a restaurant. Don't worry, even during holiday times the traffic will be light, (except right in the heart of town). Also, since Josephs Table has closed, you might like to make advance reservations for either The Love Apple, El Meze, or Lambert's restaurants

I like to suggest that folks visit Taos Pueblo. . I also like to suggest that folks become Taosenos while they are here and just...relax!

Enjoy

2. Re: 1st Trip to Taos - Memorial Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 06, 2010