We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping / hiking ??

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, tx
reviews: 2
camping / hiking ??

I'm taking a trip to the Taos area in July and was wondering what are some of the better camp grounds? Also any information on parks to hike / fish would be appreciated!!

Taos, NM
reviews: 36
1. Re: camping / hiking ??

My favorite area is the Wild Rivers Recreation Area north of Taos. It is extremely well maintained by the BLM. Also has great vistas and hiking trails, and is at the junction of the Rio Grande and the Red River. This area is seriously underused by the public and you can pretty much be assured of peace and quiet. Hwoever, it is about a 45 minute drive north of Taos.

The majority of the other National Forest campgrounds are very close to State and US Highways.

Another area that is run by the BLM, that is in a quiet area but can have lots of campers, is along the Rio Grande by the crossroads of Pilar.

Finally, if you want to be much further away, but in a truly gorgeous and off the beaten path area, try the campgrounds in the "Valle Vidal" http://www.vallevidal.org/history.php area of Carson National Forest. You will be about an hour and a half from downtown Taos, but smack dab in the middle of over one million acres of high alpine meadow wilderness on the border with Colorado.

Have Fun!!!

dallas, tx
2. Re: camping / hiking ??

Thanks for the info!! I'll be sure to look into all of your suggestions.

Albuquerque, New...
3. Re: camping / hiking ??

I've found that this website can provide you with much more information than I could ever write! :-)

www.taosoutdoorrecreation.com/summer.htm

There are also many forest campgrounds between Questa and Red River, as well as in Cimarron Canyon between Cimarron, and Eagle Nest (and Eagle Nest Lake...good trout fishing early & late in the day.)

July will be the busiest season. You would be wise to have "alternatives" in mind. Some campers use these areas as their base, remaining many days, so campgrounds can be frustratingly full.

The same is true for the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft area in South Central New Mexico.

I hope you have totally positive experiences! It's a beautiful area.

Taos, NM
4. Re: camping / hiking ??

As NM Photojournalist said, the campgrounds that they suggest can be VERY full, and are all immediately adjacent to state highways with lots of traffic.

Wild Rivers Recreation Area, The Valle Vidal, and the area around Pilar will be your best bets.

Also, the Valle Vidal has phenominal fly fishing.

Enjoy

dallas, tx
5. Re: camping / hiking ??

thanks for the link!

6. Re: camping / hiking ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, October 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Taos