We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Spring Skiing

Which Taos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 6
Late Spring Skiing

I'm thinking about doing our springbreak trip to New Mexico and Taos for 2008. How is skiing in late March in this area? When was closing day this past season?

We were in Steamboat from March 20th-27th this past spring break and skiiing was pretty crummy, but I think they got dumped with snow the day after we left, so you never know. It was quite warm, so the day started out on ice, then quickly turned to slush after a brief period of soft snow. The mountain was completely open though. Should I expect the same or worse?

My wife doesn't ski so all I'd really want was two or three days to enjoy myself if at all possible.

Thanks for your help.

Taos, NM
1. Re: Late Spring Skiing

Late March in Taos is generally about as good as it gets. Last year was an exception but it was still great then. Taos will close in 2008 at the end of the first week in April- I think it is the 4th or 5th. Check www.skitaos.org- great links to places to stay up in the ski valley too. Best ski in and ski outs are St. Bernard- (weekly packages only) and the Edelweiss lodge and spa (a little more expensive but by far the nicest place around and not bad with a couple couples).

The prices go down (lift tickets and hotels) after the Texas spring break crowds leave and the skiing is outstanding- NO BOARDS!!!

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 3
2. Re: Late Spring Skiing

I generally love skiing in the spring and Taos is my favorite place in the United States! The Edelweiss Lodge and Spa is incredible - it's located on the slopes and it is a first class condo/hotel setup. There is a bar and restaurant on the first floor, and the food is top notch. It's pricey, but worth it for the location, accomodations, service and so on. The rates come down a bit in the spring.

Los Angeles, CA
reviews: 3
3. Re: Late Spring Skiing

One other thing: There is lots for your wife to do if she does not ski. The Edelweiss has a spa and it's a nice place to hang out and read, etc. Also, the drive to the town of Taos is pretty easy (25 minutes or so) and there is lots to do there.

4. Re: Late Spring Skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 pm, September 03, 2009