We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe or Timbavati

Which Madikwe Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
OLAVH
reviews: 4
Madikwe or Timbavati

We will be in SA in July with or 2 kids aged 10 and 12 (third time to SA). We will be visiting , a.o., Kruger Park and 2 nights in the Sabi Sand. I've some budget left for either 2 nights in Madikwe or 2 nights in Timbavati. We could do MAdikwe at the beginning of our trip.

However, budgetwise we could only do Mosethla, which actually appeals to me (even with kids - we have been in a similar place before).

Most important are the quality of the game drives. Not necessarily the big 5, but would also be interested in oher animals.

Any advice?

Olav

Western Cape, South...
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
reviews: 37
1. Re: Madikwe or Timbavati

I think the time and cost involved getting to Madikwe (and back) for just 2 nights would not be as good use of your time and budget. Especially so with your youngsters involved. By contrast, moving from Sabi Sand to Timbavati or Thornybush is an easy trip. Just "up the road" so to speak, on the R40 road. While Madikwe is a different environment from Sabi Sand & Timbavati, I would save it for a later visit, if I were you.

Looking at your other posting regarding certain properties - if you can get the Serondella Family Unit and be in your budget, I highly recommend it. It's big, has 3 bedrooms, actually. Very nice.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 10:22 am, February 16, 2011
Pretoria, South...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Madikwe or Timbavati

Hi Olav,

Despite loving both Madikwe and Timbavati (and having worked in both), I would recommend Timbavati far above the Madikwe option.

Camps/lodges that you could look at in the Timbavati and surrounding areas in a comparable price bracket are:

Shindzela

Gomo Gomo

Kambaku

Africa on Foot

Umlani Bushcamp

Transfronteir Walking Safaris

Hoyo Hoyo Lodge (Edeni Game Reserve)

These are in addition to Bwanadave's recommendations above (all good).

To travel from GKNP to Madikwe is a full day's journey, and really not worth the trip for 2 nights.

Edited: 2:56 pm, February 16, 2011
OLAVH
reviews: 4
3. Re: Madikwe or Timbavati

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. We'll go for Timbavati then.

Olav

4. Re: Madikwe or Timbavati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, May 07, 2012