We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

NY
Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

My wife and I are planning a trip for early November and could use some advice as to where to stay. The cost seems pretty similar so that shouldnt be a factor here. We do see that we can sleep under the stars at Lion Sands which looks very nice, but in general the reviews of Londolozi usually seem slightly better. Is it worth it to stay at Londolozi in Founders Camp over having the opportunity to sleep under the stars? How are the premium rooms in the Lion Sands River Lodge in comparison to those at the Founders Camp? Any other thoughts in general in terms of food comparison, game viewing, etc, that coule help sway my decision? I realize some of this is a matter of personal preference, but since we have never been we would really appreciate any input from those who would share their experiences. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
reviews: 52
1. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

We booked at Londolozi Varty camp.

I was also comparing with Lion Sands and Mala Mala. We picked Londolozi over Lion Sands River camp because Londolozi has maximum 6 person per vehicle. The River lodge has up to 8 people. This was important to us, because we don't want the risk of sitting in the middle seat during the game drives.

Also, the river lodge has 20 lodges, which is pretty big comparing to Varty camps 10.

Our trip is not until this summer, so we haven't been there yet to give you any real details.

SOUTH AFRICA
2. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

I have had a look at the new Lion Sands rooms, but have not yet stayed in them.I recently stayed at Londolozi Founders and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a very special safari experience!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Seattle
reviews: 38
3. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

I'd suggest Londolozi. I've been to Londolozi Tree Camp and can only imagine that they do a great job at all their lodges. The quality of the game viewing is amazing. They have a special property and the opportunity for great viewing is tremendous. I stayed for eight days my first time, and every day was better than the one before!

I am going to Founders Camp in October and am so excited or my return there.

New Jersey, USA
reviews: 1
4. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

Do you know if there is much of a difference between the Londolizi camps mentioned and the Londolizi Granite Suites?

Mytmoss
reviews: 4
5. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

Londolozi Granite is the best of the best. There are only 3 rooms in Granite. The rooms are great !

Lion Sands and Londolozi are my two most favorite lodges. Choose either and you will have a great time. I personally love Lion Sands just a bit more, but that is a personal choice. The premium rooms at Lion Sands do have a much better view than those at Londolozi. The premium rooms overlook the Sabi River and are great.

It is true that Lion Sands River has a maximum of 8 people and Londolozi has 6, however this should not be an issue given the high quality game viewing at both lodges. The advantage that Lion Sands has is their traversing rights give them access to the two major rivers, the Sabie and Sand Rivers. River access gives you access to wildlife you might see nowhere else within Sabi Sands.

SOUTH AFRICA
6. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

To me, there is a huge difference between Londolozi Founders & Varty and their Granite Suites. Not such a huge difference between Granite and the other 2 camps being Pioneer & Tree. Granite Suites are definitely worth staying in if it fits your budget!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

New Jersey, USA
reviews: 1
7. Re: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room

Thank you for your replies...we are going to try to reserve the Lion Sands Ivory...the price falls in between some of the others mentioned and the Granite Suites.

Reply to: Londolozi Founders vs Lion Sands River Lodge Premium Room
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted