We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far In advance did you book your safari?

Which Sabi Sand Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
How far In advance did you book your safari?

Just wondering how far in advance most people book. We're looking at April 2014.

Berkhamsted, United...
reviews: 64
1. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I booked for August 2013 in May 2012 - and had to change my itinerary to get the lodge I wanted!

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
reviews: 67
2. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

We booked in Oct. for Dec., even for our honeymoon. It is possible to get things on a short notice outside peak season. That said, if you are really keen to book a certain lodge for a certain time, do it asap. Popular lodges are rather small and tend to fill up quickly, especially in high season...

Edited: 4:18 pm, February 27, 2013
Mytmoss
reviews: 4
3. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I booked 11 months ahead of time and the lodge I wanted was already sold out. The less expensive lodges often sell out faster. The higher end lodges are sometimes booked by corporations (which is what happened to me). My suggestion is if you are using frequent flyer miles, get your flights first, then book the lodges. If you are paying for flights, figure out the lodge(s) you want to stay at and book them as far in advance as you can.

Mike

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
4. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Good advice, once you have your flights, you can shop around for some special deals as well. There are good offers out there, such as stay at one of the top lodges for 3 nights, then get 2 nights free in Cape Town.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

SOUTH AFRICA
5. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Always best to book as soon as you know where you want to go. Many of the good lodges are fully booked way in advance!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Ottawa, Canada
6. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

I had almost no notice, so I booked only a week in advance. (Was travelling to SA for business, and decided to add a weekend in Kruger if I could)

Anyway, there were many options available, and I ended up finding something excellent, but with a sub-$200/night budget, there was not much choice left.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
reviews: 31
7. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

For Jan 2012 we booked April 2011.

For Jan 2013 we booked March 2012.

For Jan 2014 we booked March 2013.

We were looking for two rooms which made it a lot harder. For all three years we couldn't get the dates we wanted so booked the lodge first, then fit the Cape Town hotels and flights around those date.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 15
8. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

We had an opportunity just come up which was too hard to pass up on so we just booked about a week ago for a trip in late May. We luckily found a highly rated Game Lodge which still had a room but I would probably recommend booking as soon as you know :)

Philadelphia...
reviews: 28
9. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Hi, I'm the OP. We ended up booking a little over a year in advance. We'll be at Singita Ebony for 4 nights and Camp Jabulani for 2 nights. I'm so excited. We're going to France very soon and that (almost) seems boring compared to our first time in South Africa. Thanks for everyone's input.

Johannesburg, South...
10. Re: How far In advance did you book your safari?

Hi,

The sooner the better. Majority of the lodges get booked up really quickly, as everyone has correctly pointed out. It does also depend on the time of the year that you are travelling. June through September are most probabaly the busiest months of the year. Its better to safe rather than sorry. Please book early!

Rgds.

Brett, Owner, Safaris For Me, South Africa