We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Recommendation

Which Sabi Sand Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Safari Recommendation

We have heard that the Private Reserves of Sabi Sand are best for wildlife viewing. Can anyone specifically recommend one that would be good for viewing Giraffes? We are hoping to come in September of 2014, and are looking for a comfortable, moderately priced experience lasting 3-4 days. There seem to be lots of high-end options, but we are challenged at finding the slightly more economical choices. All input gratefully received!

5 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
7,317 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Safari Recommendation

You posted in the Sabi Sabi forum - perhaps not aware that 'Sabi Sabi' is specifically one of those private reserves within Sabi Sand. I had an interesting giraffe experience on the road that's the southern boundary of the Sabi Sabi reserve in September. 10 of 12 of them, on both sides of the road, very close, eating from the trees there. The younger ones were frolicking, for lack of a better word. Sabi Sabi has a range of rates, and is perhaps more expensive than you would prefer. Umkumbe, next door, is very reasonable and I would recommend it as a good option for wildlife + value. Here's a map that shows where all the Sabi Sand reserves are: sunsafaris.com/south-africa-map/…

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Safari Recommendation

Thank you! I hadn't realized I had placed my query in the wrong forum. I will investigate further.

Randburg, Gauteng...
Level Contributor
902 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Safari Recommendation

Hello, you can see giraffes at any lodge around the Greater Kruger Park area, The private lodges border on to the Kruger National Park and have no fences onto their conservancy areas. I recommend Umkumbe in the Sabi Sand, this whole area is well known for sightings of cats particularly leopard. This lodge is very reasonably priced, but you can also find other lodges further north which offer stay for 4 nights at very low cost.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
667 posts
4. Re: Safari Recommendation

Hi OP,

The game viewing in the Sabi Sands is undoubedly the best around. There is a good chance of seeing giraffe anywhere in the Sabi Sands. Is so far as the lodge is concerned, what exactly is your budget? It will be easier to assist you with a recommendations on a more specific budget.

Regards.

Brett | Owner | Safaris For Me | South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
5. Re: Safari Recommendation

I agree that anywhere in the Greater Kruger National Park holds the potential of good giraffe viewing. In my experience though, one of the best places to enjoy exceptional giraffe sightings, is Phinda Private Game Reserve in northern Kwazulu Natal. The lodges there have a wonderful pay 3, stay 4 night special offer that you can benefit from.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Reply to: Safari Recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted