We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

Which Red River hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nebraska
reviews: 1
Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

I am hoping someone can give me an idea of some things to do in and around Red River for 3 or so days, and where may be a good place to stay? I have tried to look for cabins, but have not had a lot of luck. We will be traveling with our 3 girls age 16, 11 and 8.

Thanks.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 36
1. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

There are quite a few rental cabins in the Red River area. You can start here. http://www.redriver.org/lodging

Also, check out cabins in Cimarron, Eagle Nest, and Angel Fire nearby.

If you and your girls like to fish, Eagle Nest Lake is usually pretty productive for trout. In my admittedly rather limited experience there, the lake is best at sunrise, and sunset in Summer.

Otherwise, I think you may want to head west to Taos and historic Taos Pueblo (a must see in Northern New Mexico anyway), to find shopping, museums, galleries, etc.

There may also be special events going on during your visit, so check all of the visitor's bureau websites from the towns above. It's a beautiful area, enjoy your visit!

nebraska
2. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

Thank you for the reply. Do you think maybe one of the other towns would be better to stay in? I am really looking for help, as I have never been and have no idea. Thank you.

Fort Worth
3. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

Jeep rental and horseback riding are always an option. A 4 wheel trip up to Goose Lake and a picnic/fishing outing would be a worthy day trip. Cabins in the area are plentiful and can be googled. Depending on whether you want to be in town our in the valley. They have everything from in town houses to secluded mountain cabins. Red River Real Estate is where we found our townhouse but they listed everything. Hope this helps.

Kansas
reviews: 20
4. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

We just this week stayed at a River Retreat cabin. It was great and fair priced. Found it by doing several online searches and making some phone calls.

I'd stay IN Red River, as I feel there's more to do there for kids than in the other towns. We just took our kids (13 & 15). We did the go-karts one time (expensive), rode horses with the Red River Stables, and rented a surrey downtown (great fun for kids & adults!!). We also looked at a jeep tour and would have ridden the skylift had it been open (opens full time next week for the summer). LOTS to do in Red River for families with kids! Three days would be plenty, though, unless you want to spend a day in Taos.

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
5. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

I suppose it matters what you are looking for. When you say "other cities" do you mean also Santa Fe? Do you want "city" things (Taos,so of) or outdoors things (which?) any of the "Enchanted Circle" towns. But I think Red River is a good choice as it is set up for both winter and summer.

Have you tried:

http://www.redriver.org/

www.redriverskiarea.com/page.php…

http://www.redrivernm.com/rr_lodge.html

nebraska
6. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

Thank you for your replys. We are more small town and less developed areas. We would be interested if there are other areas. We would like to do some of the scenic routes, but I am unsure how much we can fit in. We are trying to do a couple of days in Southern Colorado (there again, I am not familiar with the area) if anyone has ideas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
reviews: 27
7. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

Trinidad CO is interesting, and near the NM border at Raton.

http://www.trinidadco.com/

I don't know if I would stay there, but I'd spend a few hours walking around the old downtown area. They have good festivals there, too.

8. Re: Things to do in late July 1st with girls age 16, 11 and 8?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, December 15, 2009