We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

Which Las Cruces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Grove...
reviews: 104
Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

We will be visiting Las Cruces, NM on 9-11-2014 and interested in going to the "Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument’s". I understand that this is a new National Monument, as of May 2014, and looking for input on how to get there and things to see or do. I have read that the area includes Petroglyphs, Archeological Sites, part of the Butterfield Stage Trail, Billy the Kid’s Outlaw Rock and Geronimo’s Cave... This all sounds so interesting, but I can't find any information on how to "GET TO" these sights. Please HELP!

Thank You!

Road Traveler from Illinois

3 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
reviews: 105
1. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

The park just received its designation, and nothing has been developed at this time. There are some trails that have been there for some years, such as the Dripping Spring Trail, but there are no facilities, no visitor center, and no other access. All of this is probably going to take several years to fully complete.

Other than one or two trails, and some camping, the only access is US 70 through the mountains between Las Cruces and Alamogordo.

Las Cruces
reviews: 11
2. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

There are facilities and a visitor center at Dripping Spring.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
3. Re: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument

I wonder if the OP even got that, far... carracar

Reply to: Organ Mountains Desert Peaks National Monument
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted