We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

Which Las Cruces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 172
State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

I am thinking of travelling with my wife from Texas through New Mexico to Tucson Az. We would like to stay at an RV park or state park if possible. Is there a state park close to las Cruces, and would it be safe to camp there?

Thanks

Garry

7 replies to this topic
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
1. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

I can't tell you much about RV park offerings in LC, except that there are some private RV parks in Mesilla, which is a semi-suburb on the edge of LC.

If you don't mind staying about 90 min. west of LC, there is an excellent state park known as City of Rocks SP. They have about 15 full hookup sites, plus about 50 campsites w/o facilities scattered among the unique giant rock formations that give the park its name.

Just outside of Deming, which is about one hour west of LC, is Rockhound SP (not to be confused with City of Rocks). If either of you is a rockhound, this is the place to be; park regulations allow you to take away up to 15 lbs. of rocks per person.

Both Deming and Silver City (my town of residence, about 2 hours west of LC) have several private RV parks available. All of them appear to be safe to stay in.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 3
2. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

There are at least two RV parks just off I-10 at the Avenida de Mesilla exit. Both are very safe. We used to live quite close to them.

Winnipeg, Canada
3. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

Thanks for the info. The City of Rocks SP sounds like a fun place. We would be coming through at the beginning of Feb. most likely, do you think a reservation would be necessary to get a full hook-up site? . If we don't make it that far we will try one of the RV parks in Mesilla. Thanks for the reply

Garry

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 55
4. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

We have enjoyed Oliver Lee SP Just south of Alamagordo off the 54...Coming from Texas,this comes up a hour or so before Cruces... carracar

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
reviews: 37
5. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

You might want to contact City of Rocks SP and ask them whether they feel that a reservation is necessary. Even if the full hookup sites are taken, boondocking in one of the other campsites is still pretty comfortable, as they each have their own trashcan, grill, and picnic table. Restrooms and showers are available onsite as well. Also, literally next door to City of Rocks is Faywood Hot Springs, which has some campsites as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
6. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

Thanks for the info on Oliver Lee SP. We'll look into it also.

Garry

Inyokern, California
reviews: 42
7. Re: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the

Leasburg Dam State Park is a nice park. In Radium Springs, 15 miles north of Las Cruces on I-25. Big rig friendly to 34'. Nice drive in to Cruces on 185/Valley Drive for day trip into town. Clean, safe, view of Rio Grande and Mountains.

Reply to: State park close to Las Cruces and is it safe to camp in the
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted