We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for 3 day visit

Which Las Cruces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
14 posts
what to do for 3 day visit

i will be coming into Las Cruces this thursday and have plans for thursday and saturday night.

i have hotel for thursday night and saturday night in las cruces.

my question is what to do from Friday AM to Saturday noon?

should i drive somewhere friday morning, spend the day there and stay there overnight or go somewhere on friday, come back to las cruces and do something saturday am?

this is my first time to this part of the country, i'm from the east coast.

your opinion is appreciated.

13 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

The first thing you can do is enjoy a sunset on what are arguably the most scenic mountains in New Mexico, the chisled Organ range.

You are only an hour's drive from the famous White Sands National Monument, just west of Alamogordo, and through the Organ Mountains. (Don't expect lush forests.here)

What is in reality white gypsum deposits blown into sixty-foot dunes, the White

Sands provide a very impressive and unique siight. Mornings are best, because it can be over 90F. by mid-afternoon. Bring water to take into the monument...there is none in it's interior. (Enttrance to middle picnic area is about 9 miles...driving on hardened white gypsum....cool!

The Space Museum in Alamogordo is interesting, and if you'd care to drive east from Alamogordo, you will climb up to the little village of Cloudcroft, so named because in certain conditions the bottoms of the clouds actually do touch the pine forests that surround the town. Elevation is just under 9,000ft, and the short drive, on an excellent U.S. highway, will also take you through New Mexico's only automobile tunnel, cut through about 100ft of solid rock.

Cloudcroft is a quaint little place, and you'd be well-advised to grab a lunch to go, and head for some of the many picnic areas in the national forest surrounding it. There are several motels, and some cabins (if available) in the town if you would care to spend the night. (It would only be a couple of hours back to Las Cruces directly.) If you stay...drive the highway south out of Cloudcroft to the Sunspot Observatory...this road will provide you the best chance to see some wild Mule Deer (larger than the White Tails of the East), or possibly the more elusive Elk, just before sunset...35-40mph max.

Take in Old Mesilla, a picturesque little adobe village just 3 miles south of Las Cruces. Many shops and some of the area's best New Mexican Restauants. (La Posta Restaurant has been around for years... and years. Great ambiance with your meal.)

This one and a half day side trip to Cloudcroft should prove enriching for you. Keep in mind that Southern New Mexico is in a true "Low Desert" region, while Northern New Mexico (north of Albuquerque and I-40), is "High Desert" with more forested mountains, mesas, and flora. Please return again to take in the more scenic areas of the state. (Southern New Mexicans may send their letters of disagreement to me at...! LOL)

Please do not think of a side trip to Juarez, across from El Paso. Bagdad is probably a safer place today. "Thousands" of people, including wayward Americans, have been killed over there in the ongoing drug wars. El Paso on the other hand is a very safe city, with low crime rate.

Enjoy your trip!

Houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Is Las Cruces safe to visit? Planning a trip there in August

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Yes, Las Cruces is safe to visit. We lived there for 9 years (just left last year) and felt totally safe! Mesilla is always fun to visit, shop, and eat. Also try to get to White Sands National Monument.

It will be hot, but then you are in Houston, so you already know about hot!

ENJOY!

Houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Thank you ;)

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Yes - it's very safe, even sleepy, lol.

West Coast USA
Level Contributor
357 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

NM_photojournalist .... I notice you did not mention the Saturday Farmers Market ... is it not worthwhile?

And re: the Organ range sunset, can that be viewed well from town itself, or is there a specific recommended vantage point?

Thank you.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

I would be remiss if I didn't mention my town: Silver City. It's an easy drive from Las Cruces (less than 2 hours), and the town has some great places to eat, lots of art galleries, and is the gateway to the Gila Wilderness-- 3.3 MILLION acres of unspoiled territory and natural beauty.

Las Cruces, New...
3 posts
8. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Looking for things to do in Las Cruces, NM...Check out this link, meetlascruces.com/Things-To-Do-In-Las-Cruces…

Edited: 11:46 pm, December 01, 2014
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
60 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

NM_photojournalist Can an RV pass through the automobile tunnel on the way to Cloudcroft? Thank you!

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: what to do for 3 day visit

Yes, RV can pass thru tunnel on way to Cloudcroft. Lots do.

Reply to: what to do for 3 day visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted